Carnwennan

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 8 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points
  • Location:That ledge that you have to fall from an elevation to reach

POPULAR

Much to the surprise of nobody that had read my username beforehand- The name's Carnwennan. A man with a social life as dry as his sense of humour.

But yes- I've been lurking around for a while without posting anything as I was positively too busy thinking about doing productive things whilst continuing to watch videos on Youtube, but the Discord server eventually pulled me into activity, possibly the most radical action I'm likely to take all year.
My hobbies are suitably standard for a student with a horrific excess of free time- Reading, playing games, threatening to come up with ideas for games, writing, being worryingly into sci-fi and cyberpunk themes, and drooling over extremely impractical technology- Mechs being the first and foremost offender. So yes, the partying type.

But putting aside the alarming amount of effort I've put into this introduction- I'm glad to meet all of you folks and hope to make all of you seem better as people through my presence alone. Aside from those that pour the milk before the cereal, otherwise you lead a sad existence and I no longer wish to speak with you.
If there are any questions- I'll be happy to completely forget about them as soon as I tab out.

-Carn
"Hey Red. We're not going to get away with this, are we?"

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

You seem like a really cool dude. Can we be friends?

Welcome to the Refuge! I'm Kiri, one of the admin here. I just graduated from college last May and am about to start a new job as an academic advisor at a public university. In my free time, I enjoy drawing, playing violin and piano, and you guessed it, playing video games.

Please make yourself at home here! I look forward to getting to know you better. :)

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Welcome to GSAR! I have a question! What do you study? :D And what's your favorite sci-fi novel/series?

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Carnwennan

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 8 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points

View PostKirigishi, on 20 April 2018 - 02:11 AM, said:

You seem like a really cool dude. Can we be friends?

Excellent- I've successfully deceived at least one of you into thinking that I'm vaguely cool, when your hobbies are in fact much more interesting than mine. So of course!

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 20 April 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

Welcome to GSAR! I have a question! What do you study? :D And what's your favorite sci-fi novel/series?

Well, I wouldn't be a professional time-wasting student if I actually knew what I wanted to do of course, so I'm in the middle of figuring out what interests me. Initially I was interested in biomedical engineering, but I realise that studying engineering would just make me cry as math is immense and terrifying.

Hmm. Tough question- I'll have to cheat and give two answers for that one.
My favourite novels would have to be the Culture series by Iain M. Banks, because despite their age they're the exact kind of charm I like in science fiction: Futuristic and immensely powerful technology and societies, but populated by humans that are still very much the flawed, selfish and twisted souls they should be. There's sentient ships and AIs that curse at each other, exclude people and ships out of message chains just out of pure pettiness, and ostracise each other for how they interact with certain entities. Most importantly, it has the best naming scheme for ships in any novel, such as the Of Course I Still Love You and Just Read The Instructions, which are even the names of SpaceX's drone ships, cutely enough.

My favourite series has to be Firefly, still. Just can't beat Captain Tightpants Mal Reynolds.

And of course, thank you for the warm welcome! I hope to be at least mildly entertaining to some of you, during my stay.

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,096 posts |
  • 384 Clan Points

Welcome to the Refuge, Carn! I like what I've seen from you so far, and look forward to seeing more.

I recently started doing (chemical) quality assurance work, which I'm enjoying, overall. My free time is pretty chill, dedicated to some gaming - free online stuff, Yu-Gi-Oh and WoW at the moment - and watching various TV shows mostly.

View PostCarnwennan, on 19 April 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

those that pour the milk before the cereal
damn heathens

View PostKirigishi, on 20 April 2018 - 02:11 AM, said:

In my free time, I enjoy drawing, playing violin and piano, and you guessed it, playing video games.
I feel like this is the first time in years that you're owning up to being an active gamer when you describe yourself. Congratulations!

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero

Recipient of Posted Image

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

If you're figuring out what your interests are, that's not being a time-wasting student. :o I'm one to believe that every experience we have is a puzzle piece that helps us get to where we eventually go.

You mentioned in the Discord that you are in Spain, but your English is amazing (maybe I shouldn't be surprised. We have a few other Europeans on the site who are equally impressive in English). May I ask how you learned? Did you grow up in another country? Were you enrolled in an English immersion program since childhood? Or perhaps you really live somewhere else but are in Spain for a study-abroad experience? Please do satisfy my curiosity!

Tawny779 said:

Misery said:

Carnwennan

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 8 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points
Heh, I confess to the fact that I'm a Brit by birth that moved to Spain when I was just over 6 years old, so I had an interesting  trial-by-fire of Spanish whilst also refining English by picking apart every word I found in games/books. You'd think that this would enrich my life and cultural understanding by immersing me in two different worlds and learning that the differences between each culture isn't quite as stark as you'd first think and there's in fact always room for dialogue and bridging people together through kindness and an open mind-
Which is true, but most importantly, it leads to me forgetting the word for 'milk' mid-conversation and desperately trying to string together coherent meaning from the descriptor of 'Delicious cow-juice'.

And Fun Fact: Whenever I speak in English I have this generic, unplaceable Britsh accent that's a weird blend of London, Oxford and maybe even Northern in touches, yet when I speak in Spanish I have a heavy Irish accent that despite my best attempts, is completely unshakeable. Oh well.

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

That's really neat!

what is milk anyway. "Delicious cow-juice" is a much more appropriate word.

I have weird experiences with languages too. Was born and raised in the United States, so English is by far my strongest language. My parents are Vietnamese, so I'm a passive bilingual in that (meaning I can understand when listening, but I can barely speak the language). From kindergarten through 5th grade, I did immersion studies in French, for which people claim I have a pretty native accent. Picked up Spanish from 6th grade through 12th grade, and my sister says I speak that with a French accent. ^^;;

Have you learned any other languages besides English and Spanish?

Tawny779 said:

Misery said:

Carnwennan

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 8 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points
Oh, interesting.
And yes, I have a rough level of French, and a very basic level of German in the sense that I only know a few words, ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users