GSAR Movie Night!

• You cannot reply to this topic
155 replies to this topic

Poll: GSAR Anniversary - Movie Night! (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose the movie we should watch!

1. Roman Holiday (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

2. Kiki's Delivery Service (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

3. Looper (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

4. Rabbits (2 votes [5.41%])

5. Across the Universe (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

6. Spirited Away (1 votes [2.70%])

7. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1 votes [2.70%])

8. How to TrainYour Dragon (2 votes [5.41%])

9. Hotel Translyvannia (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

10. Eraserhead (2 votes [5.41%])

11. Flash Gordon (1 votes [2.70%])

12. Mean Girls (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

13. Princess Tutu (1 votes [2.70%])

14. Ricki Oh: The Story of Ricki (1 votes [2.70%])

15. Up (2 votes [5.41%])

16. Wolf Children (1 votes [2.70%])

17. The Lives of Others (1 votes [2.70%])

18. Moulin Rouge (2 votes [5.41%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Sweet! I love this!

Also, Stephen, are you still up on your offer to stream? When is the best time in the next week for people to sit down and watch something for a while?

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Tawny779

Official Refuge Lurker/TCG Whiz

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

either the morning/early afternoon or the evening weekdays/sunday
Pokemon Showdown: Tawn
League of Legends: Tawny779 (NA)
Battle.Net: Tawny779#1879
Steam: Tawny779
Nintendo Friend Code: 1135-1686-4113
hit me up on any of the above!

Current Trading Card Game addiction:
Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

View PostKirigishi, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the Refuge, where nothing is ever normal.

Devidra

Swordsman

• Members
  • 52 posts |
monday through thursday early evening (like 5 or 6 pm). my stepdad is a meanie and i have to be home by 9:30 :( :'(

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Okay, seems good. We'll see what we can do.

Btw, I want to watch an Akira Kurosawa film sometime. Seven Samurai or Rashomon seem good, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about this. :"O

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

King Elizabeth

‽‽‽‽‽

• Members
  • 1,494 posts |

You do know that Seven Samurai is around three hours long, right?

Rashomon seems like a better film to play since it's around 90 mins.

[tumblr.] [deviantART] [last.fm]
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

Posted Image

:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Hey guys! Swordmaster is going to show Battle Royale on his Justin TV account in an hour or so! Get your snacks and things ready!

Sorry that this is impromptu. :S We'll see how the quality and things work. If Battle Royale doesn't work, we'll try Hotel Transylvania.

Edit: So, the first Movie Night went pretty darn well. Around 13 people or so were watching! Now, we need feedback so we can improve the next one. I want to announce these things ahead of time so people can plan for it and be here.

Also, feel free to suggest more movies! The more variety, the better. Maybe I should start a poll...

Posted Image

Spoiler

Char

SPC Space Tentacle

• Lead Explorer
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 298 posts |
  • 5 Clan Points
I like this. Yes fun.
Though, maybe we should replace Spirited Away with Kiki's Delivery Service?
Despite the type of Adept I am, Mist & I are inseparable! Posted Image

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Why not Spirited Away? I like them both~ They're now on the suggestions list.

@Everyone: Anyway, wrote some guidelines for suggesting movies in the first post. Please take a look and comment on them if you have an issue with something. We can discuss it further here.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

The movie night was fun. For the next time, I hope you can push the time about 4 hours in either direction. But maybe it won't be night for most of you then? It was 4 in the morning for me, so it was just extremely random coincidence that I was able to watch it... I'm not normally awake during the night.
I was making food throughout the entire movie.
Which made it kind of hard to keep track of what was going on.
Very confusing movie.

I'm all for seeing things I haven't seen before, but all suggestions are bound to have been seen by at least one person. Anyway, seeing .hack//sign would probably be awesome. I haven't seen anything of .hack.
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Thanks for the feedback! We started around... 7pm or 8pm my time? I don't recall. But it would probably be too late for the east coast peeps (or most people) to start it four hours later. We could try a daytime movie though. Not everything has to be at night.

What were you cooking? o.o

Posted Image

Spoiler

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

I want to see this .hack everyone's talking about. I saw all of the Miyazki movies last semester, so something else like mean girls would be cool. I love that movie. don't hate.
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

So, there seems to be the following movies up for current consideration:

1. .hack//sign... or something from that series.

Or

2. Mean Girls

I know that Rolina suggested the Madoka Magica movies, but I'm not sure if anyone on GSAR has access to those at this moment. There's also some interest in Hotel Transylvania. I'll probably create a poll sometime during this week... In the meantime, who else besides Swordmaster is willing to host a movie? I know Sho offered to do something like this, but I don't know his selection.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Thorion

Mage

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 429 posts |
Flash Gordon.

I'm not supplying this! I'm not going to risk getting my dvd damaged!

King Elizabeth

‽‽‽‽‽

• Members
  • 1,494 posts |

Too bad no-one wants to watch Eraserhead.

[tumblr.] [deviantART] [last.fm]

Posted Image

Swordmaster

Impulse Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
We'll be doing an encore showing at 10 pm EST.
The movie is Men in Black 3. Noted, this won't go on the list of movies watched; so, feel free to suggest it if you want to see it (and couldn't make it), or you want to see it again.
Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

My note on this: It's fine for anyone to show movies with their GSAR friends on their own livestream account, even on such a short notice... It's not like we can tell people "you can't do this" because, well, it's their livestream. They volunteer to livestream movies for GSAR Movie Nights, and can show movies whenever they feel like it. Although I personally would do these activities with a minimum 24 hour notice (the more fun the merrier, and it's courteous)...

But, still. :P I'd probably not call this a full GSAR Movie Night, but it's certainly related. I'm fine with this idea of an encore presentation, but I would like to clarify that we can re-watch a movie if a lot of people want, and if someone's willing to livestream it.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Lunaryon

Schrodinger's Lesbian Catgirl

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 295 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points
Now that I have a Ustream Account, I can show movies as well. Particularly Anime (Movies and individual Episodes both)
ATM I have:
Digimon Adventure 02 - I think it's Subbed, because after watching the subs I can't stand the dubs anymore...
Princess Tutu - Been meaning to watch this, but haven't had the time to actually set out a time to watch it
Card Captor Sakura - Subbed
Sailor Moon - This one would take forever to go all the way through, but since it's getting a remake - With Usagi's VA reprising her role, it might be worth watching just so anyone interested can try to see the differences
Ore no Imouto - My Little Sister Can't be This Cute has been suggested to me time and time again by my Best Friend, but I haven't seen it yet
and
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Subbed

I can get my hands on just about Any Anime or Anime Movie that you guys are interested in seeing though... I'll work on getting my hands on those on the Suggestion List first. Let me know when is a good time for people, and I'll see what I can do.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Thank you so much for being interested in hosting! Let me know when you have a link to your channel/livestream thing ready, okay? :) I'll add your current movie/show collection to the list.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,446 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

Anyone here ever watched Children Who Chase Lost Voices (in Japanese: Hoshi o Ou Kodomi)? It's an animated fantasy film that was released in 2011. I just saw it with my cousins on Sunday. It's...interesting, let me put it that way. I think it was pretty well done, overall. In any case, I feel like it's the perfect kind of movie to watch and comment on as a group, precisely because it is so strange. The movie leaves a lot of room for confusion and speculation along the way. If anyone can get their hands on it, I think it would be great. It should be PG13. There's only minor violence.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Swordmaster

Impulse Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
I'll look into... acquiring it... :ph34r:
Spoiler