15 replies to this topic

Lunaryon

Schrodinger's Lesbian Catgirl

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 295 posts |
  • 2 Clan Points
Hey Mercurians, it's your clan head here!

For those of you keeping up with current events, we of GSAR has expanded recently, and we of the clans have become so large that we are set to become nations. And we need a new name. I have collected a whole slew of names and words that have connections to water and ice and winter. Please Comment with you're votes on which name you want to build the name of our new nation around it.

UNISEX:
ATL: Nahuatl unisex name meaning "water."

INNA (И́нна): Russian unisex name meaning "strong water." This name was originally a male name, but became somewhat popular as a religious girl's name due to the misidentification of the sex of the Russian martyr Inna, a male student of the Apostle Andrei.

MOANA: Hawaiian unisex name meaning "wide expanse of water."

NAHUATL: Unisex name derived from the name of the Nahuatl language, meaning "four waters."

MALE:
ARLEN: Variant spelling of Cornish Arlyn, meaning "water battle."

ARLYN: Cornish name composed of the elements ar "war" and lyn (also lin and lo) "pool, water," hence "water battle."

ARVIN: Possibly a variant spelling of English Irvin, meaning "fresh water" or "green water."

BRAHMA (ब्रह्मा): Hindi name derived from the Sanskrit root bŗh, meaning "to enlarge, to swell," hence "the creator." Not to be confused with the Buddhist Brahma whose name was borrowed from Hinduism but whose god has nothing in common with the Hindu god. In Hinduism, Brahma is a member of a Trinity called Trimurti, the other two members being Vishnu "the preserver" and Shiva "the destroyer." Brahma is also called Nabhija "navel-born" and Kanja "water-born."

BUZIBA: African Ganda name meaning "deep water; open water."

CALDER: English surname transferred to forename use, probably from the place name Calder in Cumbria, composed of the Welsh elements caled "hard; violent," and dwfr "stream, water," hence "violent water."

GLENDOWER: Anglicized form of Welsh Glyndwr, meaning "valley water."
GLYNDWR: Welsh byname transferred to forename use, composed of the elements glyn "valley" and dwr "water," hence "valley water."
IRVIN: Variant spelling of English Irvine, meaning "fresh water" or "green water."

IRVINE: Scottish surname transferred to English forename use, from the Celtic name of a river, composed of the Welsh elements ir/yr "fresh, green" and afon "water," hence "fresh water" or "green water."

IRVING: Scottish surname transferred to English forename use, composed of the Welsh elements ir/yr "fresh, green" and afon "water," hence "fresh water" or "green water."

LEITH: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from the name of a river of Celtic origin, meaning "flowing water."

MBIZI: Egyptian name meaning "water."

MOAB: Anglicized form of Hebrew Mowab, meaning "water," i.e. "seed," hence "of his father." In the bible, this is the name of a son of Lot.

MOWAB (מוֹאָב): Hebrew name meaning "water," i.e. "seed," hence "of his father." In the bible, this is the name of a son of Lot.

NÊREUS (Νηρεύς): Greek name derived from the word neros "water," hence "wet one." In mythology, this is the name of a god of the sea.

NEREUS: Latin form of Greek Nêreus, meaning "wet one." In mythology, this is the name of a god of the sea.

NERIO: Italian name derived from Greek Nereus, meaning "wet one."

QUAN (拳): Chinese name meaning "spring (of water)." Also a martial arts term meaning "fist." Compare with another form of Quan.

UISNECH: From the Celtic name for the Rasena Druids, meaning either "waters of pure spirit" or "seed of the pure."

UR: Basque name meaning "water." Compare with other forms of Ur.

WILEY: Old English name meaning "water meadow." Compare with another form of Wiley.

FEMALE:

AHAVA (אַהֲבָה): Hebrew name meaning "water" or "I shall subsist." In the bible, this is the name of an area in Babylonia where Ezra gathered the exiles.

AMADAHY: Native American Cherokee name meaning "forest water."

ANAT: Semitic (Ugaritic) name of a goddess of war, the sister and lover of the great storm god Ba'al, meaning "water spring." She is said to have been a consumer of blood and flesh. Compare with another form of Anat.

ANATU: Variant spelling of Semitic (Ugaritic) Anat, meaning "water spring." In mythology, this is the name of a goddess of war, the sister and lover of the great storm god Ba'al. She is said to have been a consumer of blood and flesh.

ARETHOUSA (Ἀρέθουσa): Greek name meaning "the waterer." In mythology, this is the name of one of the Hesperides, and a water nymph (Nereid), daughter of Nereus, who was pursued by Alpheus, the river god. Artemis changed her into a fountain.

ARETHUSA: Latin form of Greek Arethousa, meaning "the waterer."

AYSU: Turkish name meaning "moon water."

HYDRA (Ὕδρa): Greek name derived from the word hydor, meaning "water." In mythology, this is the name of a many-headed water dragon killed by Hercules.

MESI: Egyptian name meaning "water."

MOKOSH (Мокошь): Slavic name derived from the word mok, meaning "wet." In mythology, this is the name of an earth goddess known as Moist Mother Earth. She is connected with shearing and weaving, and she spins the web of life and death.

NAIDA (Наида): Russian name derived from the word nayda, from Greek Naiad, meaning "water nymph."

NEITH: Egyptian name meaning either "water" or "weaver." In mythology, this is the name of a mother goddess, the personification of the waters of life.

NERINA: Feminine form of Italian Nerio, meaning "water."

NERINE: Feminine form of Greek Nereus, meaning "daughter of Nereus" or "sea sprite" or "wet one." It is also the name of a genus of plants native to South Africa but now spread worldwide. It is a bulb plant that produces beautiful pink funnel-shaped flowers in the fall, similar to the Belladonna Lily, though smaller. In use by the English.

NILOFER (نیلوفر): Persian name meaning "water-lily."

NILOOFAR: Variant spelling of Persian Nilofer, meaning "water-lily."

NILOUFAR: Variant spelling of Persian Nilofer, meaning "water-lily."

NILÜFER: Turkish form of Persian Nilofer, meaning "water-lily."

ODAHINGUM: Native American Cheyenne name meaning "rippling water."

PAVATI: Native American Hopi name meaning "clear water."

REN (蓮): Japanese name meaning "water lily."

SALACIA: Roman myth name of a goddess of salt water, meaning "salt."

SU: Turkish name meaning "water."

TALLULA: Native American Choctaw name meaning "leaping water." Compare with another form of Tallula.

TALLULAH: Variant spelling of Native American Choctaw Tallula, meaning "leaping water." Compare with another form of Tallulah.

TALULLA: Variant spelling of Native American Choctaw Tallula, meaning "leaping water." Compare with another form of Talulla.

TALULLAH: Variant spelling of Native American Choctaw Tallula, meaning "leaping water." Compare with another form of Talullah.

AERONWY: Welsh compound name composed of Aeron "carnage, slaughter" and wy "river," hence "carnage river" or "slaughter river."

AFON: Modern Welsh unisex name meaning "river." Compare with strictly masculine Afon.

ALGOMA: English name having several possible origins, the most likely being from the place name invented by Henry Schoolcraft, composed of the prefix Al- from the Native American tribal name Algonquin, and the suffix -goma from the Algonquin word goma, meaning "lake."

AMADAHY: Native American Cherokee name meaning "forest water."

MALE:

DONG (1-栋, 2-东, 3-冬): Chinese name meaning 1) "beam," 2) "east," or 3) "winter."

FEMALE:

DONG-MEI (冬梅): Chinese name meaning "winter plum."

MORANA: Slavic name meaning "death." In mythology, this is the name of a goddess of death and winter.

NEGU: Basque name meaning "winter."

SOYALA: Native American Hopi name meaning "time of the winter solstice."

WINTER: English name derived from the season name, "winter." The word may derive from Proto-Indo-European *wind-, meaning "white."

WYNTER: Variant spelling of English Winter, meaning "winter."

Sid

Sentinel of the Citadel

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 1,274 posts |
  • 22 Clan Points
Lots of good words...

My top five would be:
1) Glyndwyr
2) Aeronwy
3) Soyala
4) Uisnech
5) Winter/Wynter

Also, Arethousa (because of Nereid reference)

Posted Image

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
My, you must have missed the chats Lunya had in the chatroom,  These are people names, not place names, and the discussion shifted.  Have y'all not had any further discussion since then?
Empty until I find something new to do with this space.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Hmmm. Luna-nya, you have any personal opinions on what you want to see? What do you think of Blizz's suggestions?

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

ArynChris

The Textwaller

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 156 posts |
Would be nice not to see criticism from a certain frequent GUEST to our clan.  Gets old, and I'm barely even here to notice it.

I vote Moab, because my favorite location on Earth is in the town of Moab, Utah (it's hilarious that that means water or seed, in the middle of a desert!).  But then, these are indeed people names; they can, obviously, also be places, but a national name might do better with other types of words.

Out of Blizz's picks, I totally second Soyala, on grounds of meaning, uniqueness, and just enough obscurity to look awesome instead of cliche.

Call me AC

And if I'm missing, not responding, or for gods' sake outright inactive, I can be pinged one or all of these ways:
Email
DragCave (shut up they're pretty)
Deviantart

I'm a DJ!

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Perhaps it would be good for Luna-nya and the Mercurians to decide on how much involvement they want from the public in this matter? Since this was public news, it allows responses from people other than Mercurians. It'd be hard to avoid public responses. :S I kinda stayed away from posting in this thread for a few days because I'm not from the clan, and I want to be careful about how involved I get in your politics and things...

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

The clan title is something to represent the imaginary nation governed by the Mercury Clan in the GSAR-verse, rather than something for its members to identify themselves by. Or at least, that's what it seems like, all things considered. So there's really no reason to think that hard about something you like personally - it's a formal name, so go with something that fits in with the rest.

My impression of the past Mercury clan is that they've never dwelled much on their politics, I don't know what type of government we're supposed to have, and I don't know who should decide this either. If we just have that, the naming discussion can continue. Preferrably in the clan's non-public area, possibly in the already existing naming thread.
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points

View PostArynChris, on 18 November 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Would be nice not to see criticism from a certain frequent GUEST to our clan.  Gets old, and I'm barely even here to notice it.

I vote Moab, because my favorite location on Earth is in the town of Moab, Utah (it's hilarious that that means water or seed, in the middle of a desert!).  But then, these are indeed people names; they can, obviously, also be places, but a national name might do better with other types of words.

Out of Blizz's picks, I totally second Soyala, on grounds of meaning, uniqueness, and just enough obscurity to look awesome instead of cliche.

This was brought to her attention by someone else, not by me.  I was just giving a heads up to get with Lunya so as to get up to date.  It was mentioned in the chatroom and discussed, but the most I did was to get it confirmed that Mars has a confederacy in mind - didn't do much of anything in terms of Mercury.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

View PostMisery, on 18 November 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

My impression of the past Mercury clan is that they've never dwelled much on their politics, I don't know what type of government we're supposed to have, and I don't know who should decide this either. If we just have that, the naming discussion can continue. Preferrably in the clan's non-public area, possibly in the already existing naming thread.

I only know Stephen was the former leader of the Mercury Clan (besides Zip). In terms of a form of government, there wasn't one that I am aware of. Luna-nya should be able to answer the question regarding what government your clan would want and stuff. Other members can also answer questions about the history of the Mercury Clan - perhaps Stephen or Josh can answer that?

Just for reference, with the Tellurian Republic, it was kinda decided through a combination of chatroom chats and (private) forum conversations. I did a little research on what forms of government seemed to fit how I was elected, and used that as a reference for how the TR (homg, just realized this is the initials for Team Rocket) would work. It seems to have worked well that way. But, the process can be very different between the clans.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Catman

True Final Boss

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 879 posts |
Are you telling me Merc clan is considering names that arn't Hufflepuff House?

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 05 September 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm butt-naked, and I'm quickly forming a puddle on the carpet.
Never forget.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points

View PostCatman, on 19 November 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

Are you telling me Merc clan is considering names that arn't Hufflepuff House?
Of course not.  Only Mars would consider a name like that.

Catman

True Final Boss

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 879 posts |

View PostRolina, on 19 November 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

Of course not.  Only Mars would consider a name like that.
Silly filly, Mars isn't Hufflepuff anymore then Jupiter is Griffindor.

Never forget.

Spoiler

Lightseer

Apeiron Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Second-in-Command
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 813 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

Just a note that I would like to throw in, but in our case it helped to think about what kind of feel we wanted the name of our nation to have and how it would reflect upon us. A few ideas were thrown around, but we seemed to agree on being a republic before we became the Tellurian Republic. Everything seemed to fall into place after that.

Also, TR claimed dibs on Gryffindor a while back.

Catman

True Final Boss

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 879 posts |
You guys don't have that cannon fodder feel of real Gryffindors LS

Never forget.

Spoiler

Tawny779

Official Refuge Lurker/TCG Whiz

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

I never thought about it before, but...Catman makes a point. Gryffindors *are* in fact Cannon Fodder.
Pokemon Showdown: Tawn
League of Legends: Tawny779 (NA)
Battle.Net: Tawny779#1879
Steam: Tawny779
Nintendo Friend Code: 1135-1686-4113
hit me up on any of the above!

Current Trading Card Game addiction:
Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

View PostKirigishi, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the Refuge, where nothing is ever normal.

King Elizabeth

‽‽‽‽‽

• Members
  • 1,494 posts |

"The Galactic Rock 'n' Roll Empire" is still up for grabs.

[tumblr.] [deviantART] [last.fm]
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

Posted Image

:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users