Character Development Discussion

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Hey y'all! I know that not everyone has finished creating their characters yet, but that's okay! I hope that this discussion will allow us to ask questions and receive feedback on our characters, as well as just talk about how our characters are doing in general. I mean, we talk informally and all, but in a forum thread? Doesn't really happen. Until now.

I'll start with my own ideas and concerns. I'm currently working on Myrtle's biography starting from the moment she is considered to be leader of the clan. It's not easy, because she's lived in a cottage near some forest somewhere, healing tired travelers, outlaws and rogues, and whoever else stumbles upon her abode. Her normal activities include finding new medicines and herbs in the field, and applying her apothecary skills for good. She usually stays by herself (except with the occasional visits to the local villages to help ), and doesn't know much about how to lead a country. So, I'm trying to understand her approach to leadership, and what struggles she'll specifically come across, especially when it comes to diplomacy. Perhaps her life prior to Tellurian politics should be changed, but I'm reluctant to let go of that...

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 03 December 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'll start with my own ideas and concerns. I'm currently working on Myrtle's biography starting from the moment she is considered to be leader of the clan. It's not easy, because she's lived in a cottage near some forest somewhere, healing tired travelers, outlaws and rogues, and whoever else stumbles upon her abode. Her normal activities include finding new medicines and herbs in the field, and applying her apothecary skills for good. She usually stays by herself (except with the occasional visits to the local villages to help ), and doesn't know much about how to lead a country. So, I'm trying to understand her approach to leadership, and what struggles she'll specifically come across, especially when it comes to diplomacy. Perhaps her life prior to Tellurian politics should be changed, but I'm reluctant to let go of that...
That honestly sounds like an awesome clan leader. I can imagine she'd feel very insecure about it, but try not to show it to her fellow clan members and trying to hide how much effort she puts into it. I don't think she should break her old habits, they are a part of what form her character, and it's good to have a leader with personality.

This reminds me... I should post my character bio, it's as good as finished. The only thing I don't have character art, but I still have the portraits and I guess I can add full body pictures later... I'll post it when I get back home (no, not in this thread)
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

She was never the confident kind of gal anyway (similar to me in many respects). I can see her trying to hide her struggles with it, partly because she's not used to asking for help with that sort of thing. I don't want her habits to go away either, but she feels like she has to put as much time as she can into understanding everything. I mean, she didn't grow up with any formal education, and has no real experience that I can think of, outside of what could happen in Stygian Star. I guess that's also why she's into promoting research into Alchemic Science and making education accessible to the population.

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

Char

SPC Space Tentacle

• Lead Explorer
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 298 posts |
  • 5 Clan Points
She sounds like the Mother Gaia herself~
Her rise to power seems like it'd be more reluctant than anything. Like she is well loved by everyone and was simply just veiwn as a leader figure by the group that she founded the TR with.

Or if the TR has been around, perhaps it was a position passed down to her? Maybe the TR had a monarchy or a traditional government before it became a Republic. (Are we a Democratic Republic or just a Republic?)
Despite the type of Adept I am, Mist & I are inseparable! Posted Image

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

I'm honestly still unclear on how we'll portray this in the RP, but I assume that since Telluria was made into a republic to reflect the nomination process, our history will have us be a republic with Myrtle comes around. I support the idea that TR was a monarchy before it was a republic, though. But, all of this has yet to be figured out.

I strongly believe that we're a Democratic Republic. Details on how it will work in Telluria is still up for discussion in the Catacombs.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Zack

Banana Knight

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 704 posts |
  • 12 Clan Points
Ooh, the idea of a governmental reform is pretty nifty. As for the character development thing, I think that Myrtle's rise to power could be due to some kind of "Hero King" deal. That is, she saves the clan from impending doom some how, and due to her feat she was named ruler. Perhaps also because the old ruler had died with no relatives? Just spit balling to give you some ideas.
Yes.
Posted Image

Spoiler

Lightseer

Apeiron Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Second-in-Command
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 813 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

Hmm. If you wanted to go with the "Hero King" idea, perhaps my character could have provided yours with some kind of assistance in the matter. It would be a nice way to tie things in, and would perhaps give the motivation to become political in the first place-- possibly due to a life changing experience of some kind. I was kind of thinking of heading in that direction earlier, although I was focusing more on a life altering experience that would somehow drive political ambitions.

Other than that, I was mostly planning on having my character be mainly focused on her own education, and perhaps through that learn that she wants to do more in the world. Maybe that would be enough. For me it could depend upon what others would like to do, since I feel that I could easily collaborate on some kind of related backstory.

As for the struggles for leading a country, perhaps my character could do something about that? I feel like my character would feel most comfortable in a position of assistance, but could contribute to some insightful discussions and perhaps help your character develop into more of a leader.

Man, I sound like I am trying to latch on to something. But anyway, I just suggest it because I am trying to think of a way to tie my character in and have it make sense, and perhaps it would make sense to have my character fill in in some way that would be useful to the development of other characters as well as my own character.

Edited by Lightseer, 06 December 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

That approach makes sense to me. I don't think we all developed separate from each other (up to the RP's starting point), so it's good to try and interweave when it makes sense.

Your character's focus is good. She's probably learning more about how to use her knowledge as a tool in the world at the moment, but people's goals can change over time. What motivated her to learn more in the first place? Just curiosity? I guess Myrtle can relate to that focus on educating herself, but her line of work already blends theory with its real-world application. I bet they can have some interesting discussions on this subject, if they get the chance.

With your character's leadership role, I feel that she would be effective in that role, although it'd be cool to have a back-and-forth sort of thing, a give and take. I want to see how Myrtle could help your character grow, to whatever extent seems reasonable.

I'm trying to think of where we can start developing character relationship maps (it's a visual thing for me), but all I can really count on is what can POTENTIALLY happen in the Stygian Star RP. That could be the lifechanging event that we need to motivate our characters to get more involved in politics. Even so, we don't have to work with only that.

What kind of lifestyle did your character lead up to before accepting Second-in-Command? Was she living in a city, a town, someplace more remote? For what reasons? What was her role in society? I'll post a list of questions for everyone to look through that could identify overlapping areas of interest or relation. In the meantime, maybe it'd be good to learn more about what you have in mind for your character. I know that she's still under construction, but maybe we can help with that. :)

Posted Image

Spoiler

Turin Ringhun

Squire

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 46 posts |
sounds good to me, these ideas.  I like the idea of the democratic republic, and the your (Patsy) leader's background.  I'm presently thinking up ideas for my character.  I have a feeling he'll be quite similar to my character on another forum, ignoring the fact they'll have the same name.
"Yes, I will drink your blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly.  I will slay you swiftly." Gurthang, Narn I Chin Hurin

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Hmmm... If you need some structures outside of your character in our country that will help make your character come to life, just let us know. If it makes sense, we'd probably add it in. Not much is set in stone yet.

Posted Image

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users