M@ni@c

Zero Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
This is a continuation of the following thread:

League of Legends

It has been remade in order to have the following list on the first page, making it easy to find:

List of GSAR LoL Players

GSAR Name
Summoner Name (Server(s))

Adrea
Karazie Q (NA)

Aero
Torchlight (NA)

Crichton
JRCrichton (NA)

Deltan the Dramatic
Dvolt (NA)

EliteCreature
EliteCreature (NA)

GalactaRay
GalactaRay (EUW, NA)

Lightseer
Ayrona (NA)
Princess Snow (PBE)

M@ni@c
Noldaru (EUW, NA, PBE)

Patsy Dragon
Patsy Dragon (NA)

Puhi
Ant1ion (NA)

Soriya
Kiki7126 (NA)

Swordmaster
Twiliswordmaster (NA)

Tawny779
Tawny779 (EUW, NA, PBE)

Umbra_Clan
Umbra Clan (NA)

Zack
Badhealthcare (NA)

Zip
Avilyn (NA)

GSAR In-game Chatroom

There is a GSAR chatroom in-game available, named simply "GSAR". For newer players, a tutorial on how to join:

Spoiler

Raisins are the antithesis of bananas.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Lightseer

Apeiron Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Second-in-Command
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 813 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

POPULAR

Well here is an interesting bug...

League of Lasers

Also, my PBE name is Princess Snow.

Tawny779

Official Refuge Lurker/TCG Whiz

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

so many lazors...
Pokemon Showdown: Tawn
League of Legends: Tawny779 (NA)
Battle.Net: Tawny779#1879
Steam: Tawny779
Nintendo Friend Code: 1135-1686-4113
hit me up on any of the above!

Current Trading Card Game addiction:
Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

View PostKirigishi, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the Refuge, where nothing is ever normal.

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

Hmmm. I've been meaning to look into LoL, but I never found the time. I have some questions about the game, and you all should be able to answer them.

1. Is the game free to play?

2. What are the system requirements? (I'm working on a decent laptop at the moment, but it's not a gaming PC by any stretch of the imagination)

3. How steep is the initial learning curve? (Is this a game that I have to invest a lot of hours into in order to be any good?)

I'm sure i'll come up with more questions later, but that's the top ones I have right now.
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Soriya

Mage

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 338 posts |
@Umbra

Yes it's free to play, theres the option to buy points in order to get items 'quicker' but if you're patient and earn your money through matches then you dont have to worry about buying any points with real money.

System requirements here: https://support.leag...em-Requirements

And it usually depends on what type of player you are and which character/champion you can handle pretty well. Since theres multiple champions and characters, theres a lot of skills and ways to use them.. however there's always helpful tips online and on the site that'll help you work out your characters. I suggest finding a champion you can work well with (I usually test out champions in Player vs Bot, because the enemy are NPCS and won't be jerks to a newbie) and then earn points or ingame currency by winning matches and getting enough to buy the champion card permanently.

That's what I did when i got Cho'Gath. He was in one of the free summons (this changes, it's not permanent) and it was easy and fun for me to use (although i didn't know he could feed until someone in my team told me). So i got him permanently as my 1st champ.

It may take you a few matches to get use to the game, I did Player vs Bot first because i didn't want to disappoint other players in my team in PvP. I'd say the most confusing thing you'll have to get use to is the shop. They changed the interface so it's quite difficult for me to navigate xD, you'll get use to it eventually. There's also buffs you get by defeating the monsters, in the tips/whatever info they give about your champion through videos or on the site.. sometimes they'll tell you which monster buffs are good for you :>

If you're into strategy games, you'll probably get the hang of it quicker. In my friend's case, she was very confused when she played it; she wasn't use to strategy games. Depends on your experience on these things.

Pros usually have the good champions (or OP ones in some cases)... But either character is fine, like for example:
I tried Amumu and failed horribly, but in another match someone was a massive pro using him. Again, whichever champion suits you best/works with you.

Item shop in matches have a lot of things and it gets quite confusing. In the old one they had recommended items for you to make it easier.. i don't think the new shop has that anymore D:

EDIT: Whenever im deciding which champion to buy next; I search up tutorial videos on them and see whether I like them or not, if it'll be easy for me to use, etc. Plenty of vids up on youtube and L.O.L has their own youtube account.

Tawny779

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

tl;dr on Soriya's learning curve thing: to be super awesome at the game, yeah you'll have to invest a lot of hours. But the only person on here who could really be considered super awesome would be LS I think. To be decent at the game, it'll take some hours to learn the different role's, but that's something we (the more experienced players of the Refuge, though I use this phrase loosely.) can always help you with. We can enroll you in the Swordmaster School of LoL...basically play a couple custom games a week to teach you the basics of playing in the PvP environment. It seems to be helping Zack out, since we've started teaching him I've noticed he plays better. He still has a lot to learn...but he is learning.

Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

M@ni@c

Zero Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
To elaborate a little on the points system, you basically have two types of points:

Influence Points (IP): Gained through matches, basically just playing the game. This can be used to buy champions, runes (which enhance your champion's stats in-game) and rune pages (to which you can assign runes and which you can in turn assign to your champion when starting a match).

Riot Points (RP): Bought with real money. These are the "premium" points, if you will. Can be used to buy champions, champion skins, EXP / IP boosts, rune pages, bundles comprising of a combination of the aforementioned, and some minor stuff like server transfers and name changes. You cannot buy runes with these points.

Riot makes it a point (harrharr) to not give players that buy RP an unfair stat / skill advantage in game, so other than not getting any skins there's not that much of a downside to not spending any money on the game.

On another note, I'm still quite rusty when playing, because I don't play nearly as much as I used to. But I like to consider myself an experienced player. Not the best, but certainly not beginner-level either.

Raisins are the antithesis of bananas.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Tawny779

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

View PostM@ni@c, on 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

But I like to consider myself an experienced player. Not the best, but certainly not beginner-level either.

That's about how I'd consider myself as well.

Cardfight!! Vanguard

Soriya

Mage

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 338 posts |
@Tawny sorry that its too long :x i just talked about different ways that helped me out when i started basically.

Tawny779

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

I understand that, and it's good that you did! I just wanted to summarize the basics of that part of his question for Umbra's convenience. I'm not saying he shouldn't read your suggestions, I really think he should, they're great suggestions!

Cardfight!! Vanguard

Swordmaster

Impulse Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
Umbra, I'll tech you the basics. From there, you can probably ask Light for more advanced stuff
Spoiler

Soriya

Mage

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 338 posts |
Hmm... I think id consider myself a noob at many times xD like if im gone for a long while.. So your not the only one Umbra; if you decide to play ;v;..

Im more 50/50 when it comes to wins or losses.. Depends on my teammates, or the person on mid row during pvp. Or if the enemy decides to chase me around ;; since i have a feeding character.. I tend to die a lot if im grouped on throughout the match D:

Swordmaster

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
I'll need to review some stuff since the major updates, but the concepts are the same.

I'll introduce concepts and Dara can comment/correct and add with particulars.
Spoiler

Soriya

Mage

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 338 posts |
@SM Yeah ikr.. Need to learn more about the shop and.. I think they have a new ping system now right?

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

Well my spring beak is coming in a week or two, so that's when I'll probably get into this. Until then, I'm probably gonna keep working out a perfect FE:A party. I'll get back to you on that, SM.

Thanks for answering my questions, guys.
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Swordmaster

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
Ai, there's a new ping system, Riya.

And, yeah, I'm busy with a paper until next week. After that, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
Spoiler

Soriya

Mage

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 338 posts |
@SM oh snap, saw some images of it. Perfect now i don't have to type "On my way" or "omw" multiple times xD

Swordmaster

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
yep, it's definitely useful (not that I ever said omw...) ^^;

I usually just pinged anyways; so, this works.
Spoiler

Lightseer

Apeiron Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Second-in-Command
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 813 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

Mmm, yeah! I'd definitely love to help out any way I can!

I feel like there is a bit of a steep learning curve to the game, but only because there is a lot of information to take in and it can be really overwhelming at first. Playing the tutorials is helpful to get the basic mechanics of the game down. Playing Co-op vs. AI is a good way to pick up on the game on your own time without worrying about getting harassed or stomped by players with alternate accounts. They have beginner and intermediate levels, too. I would suggest playing those until at least level 5. (I played bot games until level 12 personally, so I don't see the shame in it.) But, you DO want to switch to PvP at some point so that you get used to playing against other people, too.

I could say a lot more, but I think that I'll keep it there for now.

Swordmaster

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,671 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
In my own experience, I found 3v3 really great for picking up on some basics. While you don't use then in the traditional 5v5, it gives you a general idea in terms of roles, items and how to play.
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users