Samurai Jack

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

I remember watching Samurai Jack as a kid on Saturday nights. New episodes were coming out back then, so I think I watched... almost all the episodes, except for some episodes in the final season.

What I loved about this show was how sound was used (rare dialogue, for example), the different stories and settings that Jack would find himself in, and the character himself. I related with him somehow - I wanted to share in the experiences he has.

But yeah, there's some seriously epic stories and fights in this show, along with some comedic ones (while Jack never cracks a joke). The animation in these fights seemed different to me compared to what I've seen before on screen.

The show has been discontinued for now (so the story isn't finished), but the creator, Genndy Tartakovsky, is pitching for a movie to finish the series for a long while now.

I'll just share two episodes and some episode previews I found on Youtube (there's more there if you dig around). I think this show is on Netflix too.

Fight scene: Samurai Jack fighting a Shinobi
Spoiler

Episode 1 - The Beginning
Spoiler

Episode 25 - Samurai Jack and the Spartans
Spoiler

Episode previews
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aGCiL62XaTc

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t1PERp748d4

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=43JkdopES0w

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Puhi

Seer

• Cool Bishop
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 1,139 posts |

"Samurai Jack" was one of the first cartoon shows that didn't use outlines.

"Jack vs. Aku"
Spoiler

"The Birth of Evil" (Part 2)
https://www.youtube....h?v=3QRZCmSGVBg

Posted Image

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

^The first one there... I haven't seen it yet. Just watched it though - it's one of those more light-hearted episodes. :)

As for the second one, I recommend people watch the first and second part of "The Birth of Evil". It's basically the story of Jack's father who beat Aku once before.

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

What?

Ace Attorney

Promethean Guard
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 2,369 posts |
  • 87 Clan Points

Patsy you were on reddit today went you?

[10:09:03 PM] Kiri: Gah, What?'s poor spelling is contagious!
[10:09:18 PM] Kiri: It is spreading throughout the lands of Draconis. Soon we shall have an epidemic on our hands.
[10:09:28 PM] CompleteZero: Worse than the banana plague too
[10:09:52 PM] CompleteZero: 'Notable Events'

[6:55:21 PM] Robert Joe: What?, you are not Jenna. You are supposed to eat the Stawberries, not people.

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS19.gif

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS13.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

Adrea

Ninja-Maid of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 151 posts |
I always loved Samurai Jack because it was more about visual storytelling than conveying the story through dialogue. Nowadays I feel like people get too caught up in conveying a story through words and text descriptions rather than conveying a story through action, the background, landscape, personality, and etc.

Posted Image

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

I've never even seen a full episode of this show, but from this discussion it sounds a lot deeper than it seemed from my first impression.
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Thorion

Mage

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 429 posts |
I got as far as the twelfth but I can't find the thirteenth: Aku's Fairy Tales!

Dracobolt

Warrior

• Temple of Kraden Ambassador
  • Members
  • 237 posts |
Up through the thirteenth episode is on Netflix, which makes me want to check it out, but since that's not the whole series I had better not. I'd hate to have to stop in the middle. I enjoyed watching Samurai Jack when I was younger, but since it was only on cable, I had no way of seeing every episode in order. I'd like to give the series a chance now that it's available online places.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

It's not even half-way on Netflix - there's a few seasons, and they only have the first one. It's so sad. :( Have fun locating all the episodes online! You can buy the entire series on DVD too, but that's if you have money. xD

Posted Image

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users