18 replies to this topic

M@ni@c

Zero Knight of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Zerano

Author's note: Zerano is somewhat based on the Ragnarok franchise, as you will notice if you are a fan of Ragnarok Online or the Ragnarök manhwa. Elements of both of those have been mixed together, along with a good chunk of original alterations and story, character and character class elements. In light of this, I evidently do not intend to stay entirely true to the Ragnarok Online/Ragnarök universe. The backstory of this character may be altered as events unfold in battles and adventures (or as my inspiration doesn't horribly fail me O_o).

...Also, yes, I know his "appearance" is just a recolor of the Assassin Cross official wallpaper. My drawing skills do not allow for aesthetically acceptable original drawings. =3

Graphical Sheet (Large Image - 500x625)

Spoiler

Detailed Sheet

Spoiler

Raisins are the antithesis of bananas.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Posted Image  Thanias Ormus

Super awesome zany cool art by Kirigishi!
Posted Image

Physical characteristics

Height: 6'0" / 1.83 m
Weight: 187 lbs / 85 kg

Personality

His serene nature is often mistaken for being distant and cold, while in fact he is most kind in nature to those take the effort to get to know him. He is impassioned by any mystic knowledge he may come across, and has made it his life's work to master his magical abilities.

Class info

Adept Type: Jupiter Adept
Alignment: True Neutral

Default Class
Veil Seer
An adept gifted with prodigal astral and electric potential

Class Lines (Click images to enlarge)
Base line: Netherlord
Posted Image
Spoiler

Psynergy

[Status/Debuff] = This spell gains a chance to inflict the listed status ailment or debuff

Field Psynergy

Posted Image  Mind Read - Read someone's mind
  Obtained: Innate

Posted Image  Reveal - Perceive hidden truths
  Obtained: Bestowed by clearing Air's Rock

Posted Image  Invoke - Implant a thought into someone's mind. Works once per person.
  Obtained: Item (Invoke Crest)

=======

(Click images to enlarge)
Base Line: Netherlord
Posted Image
Spoiler

Equipment

Posted Image  Weapon: Zephyrus
A bladed staff decorated with ancient runes. A runed marble orb sits at one end and a bayonet-sized blade on the other. When psynergy, active or passive, is channeled through the staff, the runes emit an elegant purple glow while the otherwise opaque orb reveals its true crystal form, its core glowing brilliantly and emitting a soft breeze around it, accompanied by occasional minor electric sparks. These sparks or the blade on the other end are meant fend off attackers that manage to get within melee range.

Posted Image  Head: Lucid Crown
An elegant silver crown/tiara that is virtually invisible when worn, save for the small, colorless gem on the forehead. This crown enhances Thanias' clairvoyant abilities as a Jupiter Adept, and so provides him with extraordinary insight.

Posted Image  Hands: Amplifying Gloves
Dark, fingerless gloves with seals on the backs that glow in the color of it's wielder's main element. The seals depict a prism with a single eye in its center. These gloves greatly amplify any psynergy that flows through them.

Posted Image  Body: Illusive Robes
Darkly colored robes. The fabric moves as though it was covered with visible air, or some kind of gas. This gives off the impression that the robes are in some kind of ethereal state, and proves useful in deluding any opponents' vision and accuracy.

Posted Image  Footwear: Sorcerer's Boots
A pair of black boots, with silver lines running from the top down along the sides. These boots serve to further amplify their wearer's magical potential.

Posted Image  Accessory: Ring of Eurius
Black ring beset with a small, purple gem. Wearing this ring enhances one's physical attacks with a knock-back effect, in order to prevent anyone - or anything - from getting in close range.

Djinn

Netherlord setup

Posted Image  Tingle - Restore party HP with a revitalizing tingling surge.
Posted Image  Zodiac - Draw stellar energy to protect the party for one turn.
Posted Image  Zap - Strike the enemy party with lightning.
Posted Image  Veil - Poison an enemy with a hazardous mist.
Posted Image  Lum - Illuminate allies and restore PP.
Posted Image  Astro - Call upon astral energy to seal an enemy.
Posted Image  Ion - Damage and break an enemy's buffs with an ionic surge.
Posted Image  Cosmos - Use life-draining cosmic power to doom an enemy.
Posted Image  Magna - Damage and debilitate and enemy's defense with magnetic force.

Backstory

GSAR-verse

Years ago, Thanias was a traveling scholar and devout student of psynergy and mystics. Wandering from continent to continent, one fateful day, he by chance stumbled upon the Refuge: a large continent largely governed by four great elemental Clans. Though the knowledge he gathered there was plentiful, it was not notably so in comparison other lands he had traveled.

Instead, what Thanias found was a place of serenity and enjoyment unlike any other he had seen. It seemed to somehow draw his undivided attention, as he was intrigued by the exuberant liveliness of the local community. The other realms he has visited seemed like wastelands in comparison. From that day on, while Thanias did still travel, he had made a habit out of returning to the Refuge each time he would become weary of his travels.

Many monhts passed and Thanias gradually became a well-known face across the realm. He had entered the service of the Jupiter Clan, for he found many a like-minded adept in their lands. This Clan in perpetual pursuit of knowledge was a place where Thanias immediately felt at home.
As more months passed, Thanias rose quickly through the ranks of the Jovian hierarchy. Though it had not been his intent, he eventually even came to power in the vast Jovian nation and came to accept the office of Jovian Emperor.

His rule was long, and prosperous years passed for the Refuge. However, this time of glory was not to last. Eventually, the continent's population and wealth began to stagnate as internal struggles flared up and many of the Refuge's people fled the continent. The Clans' power was waning quickly, and Thanias tried desperately to spare his country from the impending Great Decline. His many efforts to keep the Refuge from falling into ruin eventually earned him the grace of the Refuge's great deities. Whilst he was out in the evening to pay his respects to the Gods of the Refuge, they spoke to him and recognized his efforts. They pleaded with him to help them preserve the continent's prosperity and went even so far as to bestow him with the power of a lesser god to aid him in accomplishing this task.

The responsibilities of being both an emperor and a lesser deity weighed heavily upon Thanias, but he bore them with pride and dedication nonetheless. He fought to the very last to keep the Refuge alive, but the inevitable end eventually did come. His divine powers quickly waned as he looked on with a heavy heart at the continent he had so come to love. The Jovian Empire, along with all the other clans' nations, was shattered, and the entirety of the refuge slowly slipped into decay. Thanias eventually went into exile, and went on yet again to explore the other continents of the world.

[NeoGSAR and current GSAR's story to be appended]

Canon GS-verse

Thanias was born somewhere near the Angaran northern mountains, to a small troupe of nomads. His birth name was simply Mana. The troupe originally hailed from Shaman Village, Hesperia. Tired of living isolated lives in the village, they escaped and set out to travel as far and wide as they could. Unlike any other member of this tribe, Thanias was born a Jupiter Adept. The cause of this may have been that the pendant his mother used to carry (the stone it held later discovered by Thanias to be an exceptionally powerful and peculiar psynergy stone) had awakened or otherwise imbued this potential into Thanias during her pregnancy. This pendant was later given to Thanias by his mother as a good luck charm.

Meeting many a Jupiter adept along their travels, Thanias was able to learn much about his powers and their potential. At the age of thirteen, however, Thanias was returning to his tribe after fetching some water when he saw smoke rising from the camp's direction. Rushing to the scene, Thanias quickly realized he had to hide immediately, as he witnessed the last of his tribesmen being brutally tortured and killed by a Tuaparang raiding party. Overhearing their interrogations, it appeared they were out for the pendant. Though praying his parents had somehow escaped, inside, Thanias knew the same horrible fate had befallen them. He held back a strong urge to rush in and charge the trained soldiers, for he knew there was nothing he could possibly do. Upon realizing these men were not intent on leaving any survivors, he ran as far as he could until his legs finally gave out. He never saw his parents again since then.

Years later, Thanias had assumed his current name, in order to hide his Hesperian heritage. He had continued on as a sole traveler, doing little more than gathering mystical secrets and honing his skills as an adept. Though he had grown fond of his studies, the one thing that to this day drives him most is his desire to exact revenge upon the Tuaparang, and that one last, painful splinter of hope to one day discover that at least one of his parents survived.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Kael

Knight of outer darkness

• Members
  • 121 posts |
Sounds cool, love the background and weapon.
YEA BOY!

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
This is your Author Avatar for the GSARverse, right?  Wouldn't it be a better idea to use stuff from site lore rather than canon?
Empty until I find something new to do with this space.

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
I could do that. When I get the time, I might look into it. For now, it shall be this.

Isn't your character's backstory canon as well, though?

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
Nope.  I haven't even created it for GSAR for that matter.  If you look at the ToK version in my bios section, it uses the Templeverse lore, not canon lore.

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Added character art and basic class and accompanying psynergy lines. Some info still needs to be added to those, plus the backstory rework is also still pending.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
...I have some questions about your spells.  Which one is which type?  It'll be hard to make a class plate set for you if I don't know how to organize them.

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Working on that, didn't quite have enough time to work everything out just yet. I might still change some or possibly all of those spells. (Might take a bit to come up with proper descriptions too)

Edit: Added types

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
Well, I'm counting 18 right now, out of a maximum allotment of 15... And all of them seem to be original, meaning no basic line is present.  While many of these look awesome... might I suggest saving some for your alt classes?

The reason for using one of the 3 Jovian basic lines, by the way, is to keep field psynergy down to 12 basic elemental spells.  That's why I've been pushing so hard to use either canon spells like Bolt or Whirlwind, or to use the Shine line that we came up with for the Astral type.  Since Basic spells double as field spells... it's pretty important we keep the number manageable.

I'd also like to point out that you're a mage - and as such, any Class Tier penalties are reduced by 1.  Since the max penalty is 3, that means for a mage it's actually 2.  Those Class Tier 3 lines should be Class Tier 2 for you in your base class, and Class Tier 1 for you in your alt classes.

As for your only FPA line... they tend to follow set upgrade patterns.  If you use your upgrade pattern for that... it'll be pretty useless between Class Tiers 1 and 5.  As such, the following is recommended:

Added Damage (Spellcasting + Value):  CT1 → 3 → 5
Multiplier Damage (Spellcasting * Value%):  CT2 → 4

With the above upgrade pattern, spells should remain useful as they upgrade.  Otherwise, it'll be like in TLA - you'll learn Ragnarok, start rocking it for a while, but soon afterwards will just ignore it until it upgrades.  This way, it upgrades early enough to be useful, and again once it becomes obsolete.  It's recommended that you take both an Added Damage and a Multiplier spell line.

Edit:  Oh, figure I should mention - Buffs/Healing should be listed as Benedictions, while Debuffs/Ailments should just be listed as Maledictions.  No need to assign strict elemental connotations to them, that'll start to overcomplicate them.  Take the Bind psynergy for example.  Kinda makes more sense for Astral than for Lightning as its base, and yet I still know it.

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
That did actually help me balance my build out quite a bit. Thanks for the info. Updated the build. If there's any other errors/inconsistencies you see, please do note them.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
...That's a really strong added damage line.  If you learn it at level 25, the first tier would need to be about +85 to justify the level learned.  That's way too high - in fact, the levels for your added damage and multiplier lines seem backwards.

2:  Ray is not a basic line, it's an intermediate line.  I think you meant Bolt.  Also remember that if you want to change the last tier of bolt to a damage+effect, you can.  Just change it from Blue Bolt to something like, say, Bright Bolt, and define what the added effect is (such as may lower warding by 12.5%)

3:  Er, I should be a bit more clear.  Marking benedictions and maledictions should only apply to effect-only skills like Bind or Resist.

4:  Your level 1 spell line?  The one currently listed as your basic line?  Sounds waaaay took cool to be a basic line.  Perhaps change it to be either the Intermediate or advanced line.

5:  You now only have 12 class spells.  Innate spells are not class spells, by the way - they're innate, you have them regardless of class.  Also, please pick one innate spell, and list the others as "learned".  Given the nature of your spells, I recommend that Mind Read be innate, and Reveal be learned via visiting a rock or something like that, and Invoke be learned via training.

6:  Could you list visual descriptions for your spells?  Also, defining the range of each individual spell would be nice (remember, spells often increase in range between tiers, such as Bolt → Flash Bolt → Blue Bolt being 1→3→3).

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
M'kay, touched it up a bit further. I was planning on doing spell descriptions, but that will have to wait until tonight.

I'm sticking to ailment infliction for this line. I was going to save stat-decreasing debuffs for a possible alternate class line.

Lastly, I have no idea about what chance percentages for ailments would be acceptable. I'll just put up basic rates for now. I would think multi-target spells should generally have a lower chance of inflicting ailments as opposed to single-target spells, neh?

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
There's really no need to go into the chance percentages or anything like that.  Those are done based on three factors:

1: Base Value for the effect
2: Target's luck
3: Target's individual resistance for that particular ailment

To pretty much bring it home, we know the formulas for everything in the game, no matter how complicated, except for ailments.  I'm actually trying to push for figuring it out over in the GSHC simply because of that.  The only thing I know for certain in the new system is this:

Effect Only spells (such as Paralyze) have full value for Base Value
Damage + Effect spells (such as Toxic Grit) have half value for Base Value
Scythe Unleashes and Tier 3 Added Damage have 75% value for Base Value

So, let's say hypothetically that the infliction rate for Sleep was, say, 60%.
Now let's say you have an Added Damage line that adds sleep.  The Second Tier spell would be the Damage +30% chance of sleep.
Now we go to the third tier of that spell line, and you get damage +45% chance of sleep.

Of course, this is before we look at both luck and individual resistances.  Luck always lowers the chance of infliction.  An enemy can either resist, be weak to, or immune to an ailment as well.  It's a bunch of crazy complicated factors, but the easiest thing to remember is that while Damage +Effect skills are crazy useful, just remember that effect-only skills will be more reliable for the ailment itself.

Now then, would you mind marking which spell lines are which?  I can't really go into anything else until I get a better sense as to which one is intended to be which power right now.

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Actually had some extra time to add some basic spell descriptions. Now (hopefully) all that's left is to rework the backstory. Still not quite sure what kind approach to take for a GSARverse backstory. I'm sure it'll come eventually, I'm just gonna need a clear head for that one.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Added Djinn section, with the djinn used for the base class line.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

Rolina

Between-Contracts Witch

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,815 posts |
  • 10 Clan Points
I'd like to point out - because you have a delayed spell line (Ionic Nebula line), and because you're a mage-build, your buffs would be learned at first tier.

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

Nice djinn! You should note, however, that Magnet has already been used as the name of a Venus djinni.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

M@ni@c

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 373 posts |
Easy to fix. xD

View PostKirigishi, on 14 November 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Nice djinn! You should note, however, that Magnet has already been used as the name of a Venus djinni.

I figured I might have a duplicate somewhere. Easy to fix. :3

I'll update the buff tiers right away.

Tabletop characters:

- Zerano

- Thanias Ormus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users