Poll #13: Does fate exist?

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll #13: Does fate exist? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose one:

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Unsure (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. Other (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

I was originally going to ask you all if luck/chance exists (Friday the 13th, everybody), but I felt that the question hinged on THIS one...

So... Fate. Destiny. And the issue of free will... What are they, to you? Your thoughts?

Personally, I try not to think about it too much. I would casually bring up both, and they seemingly coexist with how I use them in a daily sense. But, to be honest, I'm not sure where I stand. I would honestly like to think that this is a false dichotomy, and that there must be more to the picture than a battle (or coexistence) between fate and free will. They both exist together in a way, for reasons that I'm too tired to get into. But... there could be more.

For now, I'll just go with Other.

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

I've voted no, since I believe only the present exists. I would actually like to say both yes and no, because nothing can be in any way other than it is. In that sense, everything would be predetermined. It's too deep of a question.
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,765 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

View PostMisery, on 13 September 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I would actually like to say both yes and no, because nothing can be in any way other than it is. In that sense, everything would be predetermined.
Posted Image

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,446 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

I am far too chill to concern myself with the question of fate. So I vote no.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Puhi

Seer

• Cool Bishop
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 1,139 posts |

To keep it simple; You can't determine every part of your day or life, but you can try to make it happen a certain way by making decisions.  Every choice has a consequence.

Posted Image

Sid

Sentinel of the Citadel

• Flowing Rook
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 1,274 posts |
  • 22 Clan Points
Likely no... but maybe yes.

Posted Image

Adrea

Ninja-Maid of the Holy Bryutannian Empire

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 151 posts |
I believe in karma moreso rather than what may be referred to as a "fate" or "destiny"

A fixed fate or destiny also implies that time-travel is possible in some sense or form, and while traveling to the past via warping spacetime is theoretically plausible, traveling to the future is not. However a friend of mine today actually mentioned something about a future version of ourselves traveling to the "past" or our time, and if that would somehow mean that there would then be a "future" to travel too--which would then bring up the question as to whether or not history is always "fixed" to happen a certain way or if it can be "altered" and there be different versions of history.

On a more technical note, "fate" or "destiny", in relation to modern terminology, may be better compared to the "Theory of Everything", in my opinion, in that a fate or destiny might just be something like a trend or computation, derived from basic laws, that can be applied to a certain circumstance.

Personally, I relate karma more to what you input into a law or theory, in that if you do the right things or put in the right variables, you will generally get the right/good results. It seems easier to live life that way rather than to constantly worry about some fixed idea of what might happen in the future.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users