• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,763 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

POPULAR

Posted Image

Please note that most of the data currently on display (ie. skills, psynergy, djinn names etc) is just placeholder data for now.

D(otR) is an online text-based game, which can be described essentially as "Pokemon with Djinn". The base mechanics will be somewhat similar to Pokemon:
  • You run around fighting monsters (only Djinn can be 'captured', though)
  • Carry 6 djinn in your party
  • Fight 1v1 battles (for now)
  • Have the option of 4 psynergy attacks that use PP from a pool rather than a set number per move (with the addition of basic Attack/Defend options, + summons)
  • And so on.
All Djinn are randomly generated, and have a unique name - there will only be a single Venus djinni called "Rock", for example. The only thing that won't be unique will be the djinni's icon, for obvious reasons. All of the official Djinn from the games will be included, but they'll be either very rare encounters or rewards for major events. As you'd expect, trading between players will be possible.

I'll go into a bit more detail on the specifics of the battle system sometime soon (possibly along with a screenshot of the current interface), but for now, it's still fairly underdeveloped. That said, I must say that what I have planned is pretty damn awesome. I hope to have something ready by sometime early next month, but won't make any promises. All I'll share right now is this shot of part of the current battle menu (which will most likely change):

Posted Image

In terms of character progression, I'll be including several MMO-like features. At the core of this will be the skill system - the idea for which is heavily borrowed from a MMO called EVE Online. Essentially, you'll be able to learn and train a number of different skills which will have various effects, examples of which you can see on the current 'My Skills' page.

Once you've learnt a skill (through the use of a skillbook item), you'll be able to train that skill up to a max level of 5. Learning a skill gives it to you at level 0 - you need to train it to at least level 1 for it to have any effect. Training is simply a matter of time - hover over the "Level..." text and click the 'Train' button. Only one skill can be trained at a time, and the amount of time it takes depends on your Skill Point generation rate, which will be able to be increased by several skills and items.

Once a skill has finished training, the sever will automatically advance it to the next level - this process occurs every 5-10 minutes. I'll add an option that allows you to manually complete the training at some point.

So what can you do right now? Very little, unfortunately. To test the Skill system, you can train your 'Djinn Commander' skill, or use the skillbooks in your inventory to learn a few more skills that can be trained. But that's about as far as it goes right now - there will be more news on further testing soon. Also note that most data will be wiped before the game goes into a live release, so don't worry about specifics for now.

Once more features are up, I'll create a subforum for discussion, but for now if you have any problems/comments please let me know in this thread. I'm very open to suggestions, but maybe hold off on them for the moment, until we've moved past this initial phase.

Zarky026

The Companion Cube

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 429 posts |
ok, uh Dave... your skill system has some kinks I think. the 'train' period of a particular skill (iron will) is finished according to the timer. but the bar is still updating (upon refresh) and filling up. idk if this is just a small or game breaking bug. the 'finish training button came up when the bar was filled, but no matter how many times I click it, it will not change: the page refreshes, and the pulsing first level along with the finish training button is still there. idk if this applies to any other skill sets yet.

edit: ok, now I clicked another skill (with the previous still in effect) now the old skill is acting weird. the level is still zero, there is no listed wait time, and when I go back to train the old skill, the time shows 0:00 and the wait bar is not updating (upon refresh) at all!

Edit: ok, the problem fixed itself, just took the server some time to realize the skill was finished ect.ect.... now a new skill I am training (analytical perception) the wait bar is not updating (upon refresh).

on an unrelated note; is the background art original? or is it a part of promotional art from the game(s)?
"the companion cube will not threaten to stab you..." GLaDOS, portal
Posted ImageMonocles and top hats are given to every member of the clan.
-Young Bane
Spoiler

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

I'm pretty sure most of the background art is from Dark Dawn.
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Zarky026

The Companion Cube

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 429 posts |
thanks Umbra. Hmm, the bugs I'm coming across just seen to be graphical or computational latency... no offense intended to the creator. (it is awesome all the same)
-Young Bane
Spoiler

GalactaRay

Scholar

• Crashing Waves King
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,317 posts |
  • 119 Clan Points

Just saying that that the only way to get to djinn is to click on the photo, but on the page there is a link on the tool bar named djinn. Is it supposed to be like that. (Really cool so far(Me likes 'evolution system'))
Posted Image
A bunch of quotes below.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Crichton

Knight

• Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 109 posts |
Well skill training system seems to work. Got to level 1.
Posted Image

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,763 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

View PostZarky026, on 25 December 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

ok, uh Dave... your skill system has some kinks I think. the 'train' period of a particular skill (iron will) is finished according to the timer. but the bar is still updating (upon refresh) and filling up. idk if this is just a small or game breaking bug. the 'finish training button came up when the bar was filled, but no matter how many times I click it, it will not change: the page refreshes, and the pulsing first level along with the finish training button is still there. idk if this applies to any other skill sets yet.

edit: ok, now I clicked another skill (with the previous still in effect) now the old skill is acting weird. the level is still zero, there is no listed wait time, and when I go back to train the old skill, the time shows 0:00 and the wait bar is not updating (upon refresh) at all!

Edit: ok, the problem fixed itself, just took the server some time to realize the skill was finished ect.ect.... now a new skill I am training (analytical perception) the wait bar is not updating (upon refresh).

on an unrelated note; is the background art original? or is it a part of promotional art from the game(s)?
Just to explain why these issues ocurred:
  • There's a bit of an issue with the server time - it sometimes lags up to 4 minutes behind the actual real time, so when a skill says it is finished, it may actually have 4 minutes to go
  • Due to this, the Finish Training manually button doesn't work yet, but will in the future if I can figure out a solution
  • The wait bar resets to 0 every time you change the skill being trained. Not sure if I'm ever going to be able to fix this, but it's just a visual issue
    • In your case, if you're refreshing the page, you might be resetting the skill (ie. your browser is resending the train skill post data and telling the system to stop training the current skill and then start training it again). As a side effect of this, your wait bar was always reset to 0. Don't refresh (at least not without leaving the page after initially clicking Train).
  • As I mentioned above, the server updates skills every 10 or so minutes. I should have specified that your finished skill still has to be 'training' for it to be updated
  • And yeah, most background art is from Dark Dawn, though some is just random stock images
@Ray: Since you couldn't even call this an "alpha" test, I decided not to put a link on the navbar just yet.

Zarky026

The Companion Cube

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 429 posts |
uh, nope didn't have the problem of 'resetting to zero' i don't think. and how come we can see your djinn underneath your location, Dave, and we can't see our own?
-Young Bane
Spoiler

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,763 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

Because it's a work in progress. Patience, please.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Archivist
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 8,215 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

Cool~!

This was a nice thing to see today. =) You've been working hard on this for a while, Dave. Props! I can't wait to try this out!

Log and I are totally best friends now!

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,763 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

POPULAR

Working on this for a while, yes. Working hard... not so much :P

Catman

True Final Boss

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 878 posts |
I like Smoke, I think he'll kill things nicely.
Is the Flare attack supposed to have 0% acc tho?

View PostZarky026, on 26 December 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

how come we can see your djinn underneath your location, Dave, and we can't see our own?
In "My Dijinn" under stored dijinn there is a switch
Flick it hard and flick it fast and leave it gasping for breath.

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 05 September 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm butt-naked, and I'm quickly forming a puddle on the carpet.
Never forget.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,763 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

Haven't put in any data for psynergy yet. Will come with the battle system test, sometime next month.

Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,434 posts |
  • 29 Clan Points

Posted Image

Dave, halp.

[4/17/15,10:18:15 PM] Zack: breathe in
[4/17/15,10:18:21PM] Merc: Merc breathes in
[4/17/15,10:18:32 PM] Zack: and maybe out if you want

Zarky026

The Companion Cube

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 429 posts |
give the server time, if it is anything like what I have come across, it will sort itself out.
-Young Bane
Spoiler

Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,434 posts |
  • 29 Clan Points

Oh, good. It just finished itself. I was a little scared, because I also got this message. ^^'

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Archivist
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 8,215 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

You thinking of training a Venus djinn sometime?

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,434 posts |
  • 29 Clan Points

Most likely, yes. It's more efficient to level up the quick skills right now, just in case.

Zarky026

The Companion Cube

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 429 posts |
uh... you do know that Dave said he would reset the stats when this goes official, right?
-Young Bane
Spoiler

Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,434 posts |
  • 29 Clan Points

POPULAR

Don't care, still optimizing