What are you reading right now?

• You cannot reply to this topic
83 replies to this topic

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

I can't believe we don't have a thread like this already. ^^; If we do, then welp.

Just finished John Green's Looking for Alaska. I liked it better than The Fault in Our Stars. He plays well to one of YA's greatest strengths - the bareness of emotion. And sometimes, it's ridicidonkey, like with the 'he-said-she-said' drama, or the blatant rule-breaking, but Green weaves it skillfully through most of the book and makes it all more 'real'. You can forgive him for making the characters a bit shaky at times. ^^; I mean, no kid in boarding school has /that/ much time to pull pranks and get drunk.

I'd like to read more of Green's work to explore how he writes.

In terms of new books, I started on The Maze Runner by James Dashner, mostly because I wanted to know what the hype was all about, and it seemed like a short read. I've been rereading parts of other books on the side though, just to get in the mindset for NaNoWriMo.

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,071 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

Ugh, I quit The Maze Runner by page 4. It failed the semicolon rule, badly. (You get maybe one semicolon per page. If you use semicolons incorrectly with alarming regularity, I quit your book.)
In space, the stars are paved with gold.

No, really, who is Ryu Gaia?

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Signature from when I was in Mercury below:
Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Daaaaaang. I honestly didn't notice the semicolons until you pointed them out. There were three on pages 1 and 3, with at least one on practically every page... I guess the book could have benefited from a better editor, eh?

Just a few chapters in. I don't like most of the characters. 8'D But we'll see what happens...

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,446 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

Swearing: A Cross-Cultural Linguistic Study, by Magnus Ljung.

The author presents some interesting arguments for what does and doesn't constitute swearing, and it's neat to consider swear words as a distinct linguistic category. I am also enjoying the historical background provided by the author. There's a bit of redundancy throughout, but I've noticed this is pretty common in linguistic studies. @_@

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Does he explore the reasons why people swear in the first place? Or is that just not the focus of the book?

Finished The Maze Runner. I finished it so quickly partly because I really wanted to see what happened. But that's the only reason why, really. It was exciting, emotional at times, and downright disturbing, there isn't much here for me.

And there's one thing in particular that Dashner could improve on, perhaps... [Spoilers ahead, read if you dare]:
Spoiler

So I'll read the sequel when I find it. For now, I'll reread Isaac Asimov's entire Foundation series. I sorta fangirled earlier today at the thought, haha. I'll be reading it in the order Asimov wrote them this time. Maybe I'll find new connections this time around.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Moving on to the second book in the Foundation series (fast reads, thankfully), but I'm gonna try and read LOTR again. I have my maps out and everything, which I usually need to follow the story. Wish me luck. @_@ I always lose momentum after Fellowship...

Posted Image

Spoiler

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

This thread. I'm reading this thread. Right now.

No really.
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Finished rereading "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov along with a reread of Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring". Putting LOTR on hold (again) so I can focus on other books and NaNo stuff... Asimov's books are easy to read through, so I'm not too concerned about diving into "Second Foundation".

Posted Image

Spoiler

Catman

True Final Boss

• Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 879 posts |
A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn.

For Multicultural History.

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 05 September 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm butt-naked, and I'm quickly forming a puddle on the carpet.
Never forget.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Mmm, been meaning to read that. I hope you get a good discussion out of that book. u.u

Posted Image

Spoiler

Kekbur

Bridge Troll

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 410 posts |
The Philosophy of Art by Stephen Davies

Insignificant Organism

i forget entirely

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 164 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points
Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain Third Edition (Bear, Connors, Paradiso), Chapter 20: Language

Fun stuff.
Posted Image

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Trying to read John Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" and "Big Sur" by Jack Kerouac. I heard of Rawls a couple of months ago, but I haven't read any of his works. I've tried to read AToJ before, but I flailed hard. So I'm trying again.

I was gonna try and summarize the work itself, but that's out of my grasp. And I think the quote below explains it better than I ever can.

Rawls's theory of justice revolves around the adaptation of two fundamental principles of justice which would, in turn, guarantee a just and morally acceptable society. The first principle guarantees the right of each person to have the most extensive basic liberty compatible with the liberty of others. The second principle states that social and economic positions are to be (a) to everyone's advantage and ( b ) open to all.

A key problem for Rawls is to show how such principles would be universally adopted, and here the work borders on general ethical issues. He introduces a theoretical "veil of ignorance" in which all the "players" in the social game would be placed in a situation which is called the "original position." Having only a general knowledge about the facts of "life and society," each player is to make a "rationally prudential choice" concerning the kind of social institution they would enter into contract with. By denying the players any specific information about themselves it forces them to adopt a generalized point of view that bears a strong resemblance to the moral point of view. "Moral conclusions can be reached without abandoning the prudential standpoint and positing a moral outlook merely by pursuing one's own prudential reasoning under certain procedural bargaining and knowledge constraints." - Source

It coincides neatly with Josh's thread about making better societies, haha.

I also got James C. Scott's "Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed" on my reading list, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with Rawls (he's not easy to read), so I'm putting Scott away for now.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,099 posts |
  • 384 Clan Points

Patsy's got me hooked on Harry Potter fanfics.

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero

Recipient of Posted Image

GalactaRay

Scholar

• Crashing Waves King
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,319 posts |
  • 119 Clan Points

View PostIgnatius, on 22 December 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Patsy's got me hooked on Harry Potter fanfics.

I wouldn't go too deep if I were you. From what I hear from my school friends (yeah i have some) it get disturbing. I have sad friends.
Posted Image

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Fiction:

"The Name of the Wind", by Patrick Rothfuss (reread). Nearly finished!

"1Q84", by Haruki Murakami. Started today! I'm only on page 28, but I'm loving it so far. I can give a better review later.

"Anansi Boys", by Neil Gaiman. The fun one of the bunch, haha.

Nonfiction:

"Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya", by Caroline Elkins (reread). I read parts of this book for an East Africa history class. The research that went into this book impresses me, and Elkins has been one of my historian role models.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Umbra_Clan

Totally not Skeletor

Daddy Meme Lord
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 2,875 posts |
  • 78 Clan Points

I'm finally getting around to finishing up Storm of Swords, the third Game of Thrones book.

GRRM is kinda like Oprah in a way.

"You get murdered!"

"You get murdered!"

"YOU ALL GET MURDERED!"
Posted Image

@UmbrAndrew for twitter, follow me for no reason.

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Put down Anansi Boys for now, but I'll get to it again later. Currently reading Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed, and I'm going to start on another Haruki Murakami book sometime this weekend. Not sure when though.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,435 posts |
  • 29 Clan Points

Patsy, I think I tried reading Anansi Boys a few years ago, but I ended up putting it down just because I didn't really get it at that point in time. I think I might try to relocate my copy and give it another go, since you just reminded me about it.

Right now, I'm trying to get started on the pile of books I got from my last trip to the bookstore, starting with a book called Fishing for Amber, by Ciaran Carson. It's a collection of retellings of old folk stories and such. Pretty great so far, and a good escape.

[4/17/15,10:18:15 PM] Zack: breathe in
[4/17/15,10:18:21PM] Merc: Merc breathes in
[4/17/15,10:18:32 PM] Zack: and maybe out if you want

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

Just finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. It read like a casual book, but it has some profound passages that I'd like for people to visit on their own time. This book is about how pain makes us isolate ourselves, shutting things out. But we open up and grow from those experiences as they happen over and over again. The outcome of our relationships is never certain, and nothing lasts. But we must push through anyway.

I gave it a 4/5 on Goodreads. While I love the book, the dialogue's stilted a bit, and this seems to be consistent across two of his books. Probably a fault of the translator, but I can't tell. I have that issue in my own writing... It was enough to throw me off while reading, but I enjoyed it regardless.

I also feel that Murakami tends to stick to the same set-ups and character types in his stories. He creates two effective flavors - simple realism with a hint of the unusual (like in Colorless) and complex surrealism (like in 1Q84), but, at least in the books I've read so far, you got the middle-aged quiet, introspective man that has a thing for older ladies, lost love (lost anything, really) and finding it again, ears, urban ennui, lots of sex, and a classical song that ties everything together. It's all dreamy ice cream to me, haha. I'm starting to really admire Murakami... Where is he pulling his material from? What is his life like? I'll be reading After Dark soon.

One of my favorite parts from Colorless:

“I have no sense of self. I have no personality, no brilliant color. I have nothing to offer. That’s always been my problem. I feel like an empty vessel. I have a shape, I guess, as a container, but there’s nothing inside.“… "Let’s say you are an empty vessel. So what? What’s wrong with that?” Eri said. “You’re still a wonderful, attractive vessel. And really, does anybody know who they are? So why not be a completely beautiful vessel? The kind people feel good about, the kind people want to entrust with precious belongings.””

While reading, I saw some of myself in Tsukuru and how he creates distance between himself and others. We tend to see ourselves as "just there" in an ensemble of vibrant, colorful people. And reading this almost made me cry, because people really can understand the fear that comes with our perspective. Who would want to stay with someone who was empty, like me?

Currently starting on the third book of the Earthsea trilogy, The Farthest Shore, by Ursula K. Le Guin. It's taken me too long!

Posted Image

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users