Dream Disconnect (A GSAR/Antibody Fanfic)

• You cannot reply to this topic
83 replies to this topic

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 996 posts |
  • 81 Clan Points

I like how all I do is stop musicing. Pah. That is false! I never stop musicing! Let the music live on I say! Fight the bots with sick beats I say! Kill them with MUSIC! Burn them with the passion of the MELODY! Freeze them with the slickness of the HARMONY! Smash them with the intensity of the RHYTHM! Blast them with the shock of DYNAMICS! They may be TREBLE, but we are the BASS!  We are more important! We dominate! Kill them with MUSIC I say!

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Lockdown and Out 1

After Patsy and Kiri left, the members of the Refuge prepared to wait out the bot-storm in the Great Hall. What? went rummaging through the supply closet looking for something, while Merc started setting up Board Game on one of the long tables. Members settled into place around the tables, on the couches, on the armchairs. RJ hovered seven feet above the ground in a seat held aloft by quadcopters.

"All right, What?, do you think you've got everything settled over here?" Ryu asked.

"Yeah totally bro!" What? called out over his shoulder. Then he found the thing he was looking for in the closet—a giant poster of Ryu Gaia, looking awesome. (That is to say looking like he does every day. Because that guy is so cool.) The only thing missing in Ryu's ensemble, on this poster, was his left sock.

"Are you suuuure?" Ryu asked. He felt weird about leaving. Someone needed to look for Djinn, that was for sure, but leaving behind the rest of the Refuge in a time of crisis didn't sit well with him.

Zack came up to Ryu and put a finger to his lips to quiet him. "Shhh, bbg. Don't even trip dawg. We got this. ilu. Go do your thing." Then with a reassuring pat on the shoulder, Zack turned Ryu around and gave him a gentle push in the direction of the door in the back of the Hall.

Umbro jogged over to Ryu's side a minute later.

"We should stick together until we have to split up, in case we get incoming bots," Umbro said. "We'll split around the Edge of the World maybe? I'll head south to the Clans and get to Telluria, and you'll go down into the tunnels. Sound good?"

"Yeah," Ryu said. "Let's do it."

They walked over to the back door. It wasn't barricaded, and there were no bots outside of it.

Ryu cast one last glance at What?, who was now wearing a blindfold and wielding a sock with gleeful abandon. With a deep breath, Ryu reached out to open the door.

(Initiating emergency lockdown procedure. All further posts will require root administrator validation.)

A steel gate slammed down over the door, blocking it off completely, and locks clicked into place as the gate connected with the ground. A siren started going off somewhere in the distance.

"Son of a Zip," Ryu tried to say. But he realized that even though he was moving his mouth, no sound was coming out. "Of course. All posts are validating now," he said silently, rolling his eyes. He looked at Umbro, who was mouthing something to him.

"I can't hear you," Ryu tried to say. Then he just leaned in close and whispered. "We can still personal message. I have no idea what happened. But it looks like we need to come up with a new strategy."

"Roger that," Umbro PMed back.

The two of them walked back over to the main living area, where all of the members were looking around in confusion and alarm. What?, however, was still blindfolded and trying to pin the sock on the Josh.

"Hey What?," Ryu whispered in What?'s direction. He was too far away, so he got closer. "Hey buddy—"

What? thrust the sock into Ryu's face and his face lit up with a grin like a Christmas tree as he pulled his blindfold off. Then he realized that he had won the game even better than he had hoped, and his grin got wider.

Then What? tried to say something, and it became immediately apparent what the problem was.

"Yeah," Ryu PMed. "Lockdown. Has anyone seen Dave?"
In space, the stars are paved with gold.
Posted Image

No, really, who is Ryu Gaia?

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Signature from when I was in Mercury below:
Spoiler

Alternate Dimension Catman

Ultimate Maximum Best

• Golden Sunrise Ambassador
    Helion Troop
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 616 posts |
  • 24 Clan Points
Can't wait for the great Core Node battle-off!
In this life I have lived...

Posted Image

...I have not a single regret!

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Lockdown and Out 2

Patsy soared high above the Refuge town square, up past the clock tower. Twenty of the beebots trailed behind her, intent on her destruction. She was prepared for them.

Then at the apex of the climb she swooped and twirled backwards, her hammer tracing out a tornado arc, smashing the bots to pieces with great bursts of light.

Far below, Kiri was brawling on the ground. She was surrounded by a growing pile of dead crawler bots. The crawlers kept coming over the remains of their fallen comrades, and when they got close enough, Kiri bashed them with the banhammer, sending wreckage scattering all around.

But most of the bots on the battlefield were ignoring the two admins, instead focusing on taking apart the Refuge itself. They were defacing the walls with advertisements, building monuments to UNBELIEVABLE RUSSIAN HERBAL SUPPLMENTS ON SALE NOW, NOT LEGAL IN UNITED STATES!!!! in the quad, and eating the grass so that the ground was barren.

There were hundreds of them. And it even seemed that after a long enough period of time, a ruined bot would put itself back together and get right back to shenanigans.

"This is going too slowly," Kiri PMed to Patsy. "They just keep coming. I can't believe so many got in here."

"I know," Patsy replied. She was readying her banhammer as she warily regarded an incoming phalanx of beebots. "But what else can we do? Wait—hang on, someone reported something."

Then suddenly Patsy's visor was flooded with "REPORT!" messages. A dozen at once, with more appearing by the second. 'Help me, my posts aren't appearing!' 'Why can't I post?' 'What's going on?' The red-and-yellow emergency report messages blocked out her view of the bots, and in a split second they were upon her.

The sharp jabs of their stingers sent Patsy reeling in pain, and the swarm of them slammed her to the ground, leaving a foot-deep crater and breaking her wings. She ripped the visor off and swung her banhammer wildly until the bots had paid for it.

Kiri fought her way over to Patsy.

"The board went on lockdown, and everyone's confused," Kiri said. "We need to get back to the Great Hall and help out. And honestly, there's not much more we can do out here."

Frustrated and worn out, Patsy couldn't help but agree. "Okay."

Kiri looked at Patsy's broken wings. "I'll fly us out," Kiri said.

Patsy cast one last look over the bot-strewn battlefield. The Refuge. Home.

"Let's go."
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

Ah, I don't think the core node battle-off is going to wind up making an appearance. I came up with the plot for this story well before that happened, so it's not really in this thing's DNA, you know? Maybe another fic.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Interlude: Rei-Day

Jigoku Rei sat on a faraway hill underneath a big leafy apple tree with his back against the tree trunk. Butterflies flapped their wings cheerfully around him. Birds sang. Insects hummed.

Miles and miles away, the Refuge was under horrific assault by a wave of bots that was biblical in scale. Rei had no idea. He was blissfully, totally, and contentedly oblivious to this.

He had a delicious sandwich in his hands.

It was a sandwich with thick, hearty potato bread. Layered with honey ham and roast beef and provolone cheese. There were olives and leafy things, too. It was a delicious sammich.

He took a bite. Yesssss. Sammich.

(Initiating emergency lockdown procedure. All further posts will require root administrator validation.)

He took another bite. Oh, sweet Jon and David, yes. Praise be unto he who discovered this most glorious of foodstuffs. Hail sandwich, now and forever.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

GalactaRay

Scholar

• Crashing Waves King
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,314 posts |
  • 115 Clan Points

We is Rei being peaceful. Why isn't he destroying stuff?
Posted Image
A bunch of quotes below.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

I'm sure that after he finishes his sandwich, he will reach for an apple and accidentally break the ground beneath his feet.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 996 posts |
  • 81 Clan Points

I still like how I stopped musicing when in all reality I wouldn't.

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

It's not that you stopped, so much as that you heard something strange and stopped playing so you could hear it better, and then you realized that danger was coming. So you went with the rest of the Refuge to be safe in the Great Hall. Presumably, upon arriving in the Great Hall, you went to the grand piano there and continued playing.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Archivist
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 8,215 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

View PostRyu Gaia, on 23 December 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Then suddenly Patsy's visor was flooded with "REPORT!" messages. A dozen at once, with more appearing by the second. 'Help me, my posts aren't appearing!' 'Why can't I post?' 'What's going on?' The red-and-yellow emergency report messages blocked out her view of the bots, and in a split second they were upon her.

The sharp jabs of their stingers sent Patsy reeling in pain, and the swarm of them slammed her to the ground, leaving a foot-deep crater and breaking her wings.

How could you do this to me, Josh? QQ Those bots are gonna pay... somehow...

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 996 posts |
  • 81 Clan Points

Except I don't play piano. I magically play it, because I have no clue how to play the piano. X) I'm really just a composer/conductor that also plays flute and piccolo. But okay. but yeah. My motto. Kill it with MUSIC~

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Master Plan

Ryu, Umbro, and What? were in the middle of a PM huddle in the Great Hall when Patsy and Kiri made their return. The other Refuge members were lounging around the room with their laptops and cell phones and chatting on Skype.

Everyone looked up to see the admins return. The sight of broken wings and the admins' grim faces made everyone realize that the problem had gotten out of control.

Ryu motioned for Patsy and Kiri to join the PM huddle, so they did.

"Hey," Ryu PMed. "How'd it go out there?"

"Bad," Patsy PMed back. "Heard anything from Dave?"

"We were hoping you had," Ryu said.

"It looks like we can't access any forums outside of the great hall," Umbro said. "And we can't post or talk in the site chat."

"The bots have overrun everything out there," Kiri said. "Maybe the lockdown will halt the damage, but their spam is already all over the place and they've broken everything that can be broken."

"I've got a plan," What? said. Everyone looked at him hopefully. "We'll offer them Zack as a sacrifice to appease them, and then while they take him back to their hive, we will build a giant wall to keep them out. It's the only way."

"He's right," Dave said, suddenly appearing in the PM huddle, winking beneath his eyepatch. "No, seriously though, that's a terrible idea. The bee-bots would go for it but there's no way the crawlers would."

"Damn. You are right," What? said. "Maybe we can train the crawlers like horses and ride them. If they are here forever, we may as well be friends."

"Maybe in another life, buddy," Ryu said, patting What? on the shoulder. "Dave, what's the sitch?"

"I figured out what went wrong," Dave said. "There was a mistake in Antibody's programming. I don't really know what the exact effects of the mistake were, but it's in the processing loop that learns how to discern between human posters and bot posters. Basically, Antibody is generating huge amounts of gibberish data—terabytes and terabytes of the stuff—and feeding the junk into its own filters. It's amazing the servers are holding up under the strain of how much nonsense got generated. Although, actually, there've been some pretty severe server core failures lately. So, I guess that makes sense."

"So did it fail to recognize the bots as bots?" Umbro asked.

"Kind of," Dave said. "It certainly stopped automatically recognizing bots as effectively. And it looks like the bots found a separate exploit that let them turn off Antibody's hostile response. Basically Antibody can't fight them right now."

"Can you fix Antibody?" Kiri asked. "Because we can't fight the bots on our own like this."

"Uhhh," Dave said. "That's the other problem. So, I don't know if it's an Antibody thing or a bot-hacking thing, but I can't get to the servers to fix this. I've written a patch to fix the error and upgrade Antibody from version 1 to version 1.1, but I can't deliver it. And the patch can't even be installed until the bad cores have been dealt with."

"What do you mean you can't get to the servers?" Ryu asked. "I mean, I know what you literally mean, but how did that happen?"

Dave shrugged. "The remote log-in isn't working. I have no idea why. But the only way we can fix this is if someone is in the server room right now, with the hardware, and can deliver the repair programs to the bad cores and install the Antibody system patch."

"Okay," Patsy said. "What do we do if we can't do that?"

"Abandon the site?" Dave said halfheartedly. "Move to Fire Emblem Empire? I don't know. I could make a new Refuge, or someone else could do it."

The end of the Refuge was a sad thought.

"There's only one person who could even possibly be in the server room right now," Kiri said. "His location is too far off the grid to show up on the 'members online' list, so maybe there's a chance."

She opened up a new PM conversation with everyone present and that person. "Djinn Guardian, can you hear me? And are you in the server room right now?"

A tense, quiet minute passed.

"I can hear you," came Djinn's timid response. "And maybe?"

"Are there racks and racks of computers around you?" Dave asked.

"Yes," Djinn said.

"Welcome to the server room," Dave said. "At this moment, you are the single most important person in the entire Refuge, and your Refuge needs you. Will you help?"

"Yes," Djinn said without hesitation.

"Perfect. Now, if you do exactly as I say, we're going to save GSAR."
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Djinn Guardian

Myth Seeker, Legend Keeper, Folklorist

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,438 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points
  • Location:Horizan- venice like place where the land, the water and the sky meet.
Tension Building, Tension Building, Tension Building and must wait......RAWR. Haha. But in all seriousness the story is going great and the post explaining where I was is probably what I would indeed do. Also in the most recent post that would be how I would react but more terrified and freaking out a bit. Keep it up
<h2>
"In fearful day, in raging night, With strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light, Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!" Blue Lantern Corps Oath</h2>

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Core

Djinn Guardian stood in the server room of the Refuge, alone and afraid, surrounded on all sides by computers. The only light came from a single fluorescent bulb on the roof thirty feet directly above him, and everywhere else in the room was dark except for the soft blue lights on the power buttons of the server racks.

As he moved, the lights immediately above him would turn on and the ones he had left behind would turn off. The only thing keeping him calm was the voice of Dave, whispering directions into his ear.

"You need a tablet and a server interface cable," Dave PMed. "You should be able to find them on a work bench near the front of the room."

Djinn went looking until he found the work benches lining the front wall. Turning his head to the left and right, he couldn't see the ends of the server room, and the darkness made it impossible to even guess how far away they were.

"I've got the tablet and the cable," Djinn PMed as he picked them up off the table. He turned the tablet on. "What now?"

"Now I'm going to send you the core repair program and the Antibody upgrade," Dave said. "They should be in your inventory now. Got them?"

"Yes," Djinn said, reading the tablet screen. "Antitoxin.exe and antibody11.exe, right?"

"Yep," Dave said. "Now we need to find the damaged cores."

"How do I do that?"

"Uhhh. So, there's not really a nice diagnostic tool for this," Dave said. "The one I put together in the antitoxin is kind of hacked together. I apologize in advance."

"Dave, what are you saying?"

"I sort of need you to test almost every server blade separately," Dave said.

("I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that," Ryu PMed. Everyone who understood the reference groaned or laughed nervously.)

"How do I get started?" Djinn asked. The task was daunting and probably impossible—there were so many computers—but he would try anyway.

"Go to any of the server stacks. Look for the IO ports. There should be a port grid on every rack. The ports are arranged in letter-number combos: down a row, numbers increase; down a column letters count in alphabetical order."

"Found one," Djinn said. "Where do I plug it in?"

"That's, uh, the next problem," Dave said. "One of them should be the right port to connect the program to the piece of hardware that it needs to talk to. But, uh, I didn't do the wiring on these things, so I don't know which port it is."

"Who did the wiring?" Ryu asked.

"I hired a guy," Dave said. "He went by the username Engineer Sparx. It looks like he was good enough to get it working, but he was sort of sketchy. I don't think he was a real engineer."

"How sketchy?" Ryu pressed.

"I found his password on a post-it note on his computer monitor," Dave said. "Sparx3."

"Jon help us all," Ryu said.

"So what do I do?" Djinn asked. He was getting a little impatient.

"Plug it in somewhere and try running the program," Dave said. "Nothing else we can do, really."

"Here goes," Djinn said. He plugged the interface cable in to a random port and hoped for the best. He ran the program.

(antitoxin.exe starting up...

Scanning ports to establish connection...

Device detected on port 2...

Calculating checksum on core drivers and operating system...

Checksum failed! Beginning repair procedure...)

Then the server made a whinnying cry like a wounded animal and the disk sputtered hard like a broken fan. With a final screech it died, and the soft blue light of the power button faded to a glaring error-red. Among the rows and rows of other beautiful tiny blue lights, this red one was like the cruel eye of a demon.

"What happened?" Dave asked.

Djinn blinked in surprise. "I don't know. But I think the server died."

Djinn couldn't hear the deep, worried breath that Dave took in. But the response from Dave, when it came, was sufficient to get the point across.

"Crap," Dave said.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Watcher 6

I think I understand now.

I know what they have to do to me and I know what I will have to sacrifice. I accept. I'm ready.

Whatever may come—I'm grateful for what I had.

Today is a good day. I am sure of what I am for. I will do the work of my life. I will be what I was supposed to be. I do not need tomorrow anymore.

I just have to hold on. ͟A ̨li͝t҉tlȩ longer.

Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Djinn Guardian

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,438 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points
  • Location:Horizan- venice like place where the land, the water and the sky meet.
RAWR, RYU, WHY DOUBLE DOSE OF DA FEELS (the other was from your post in the chat)
<h2>
"In fearful day, in raging night, With strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light, Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!" Blue Lantern Corps Oath</h2>

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,760 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

POPULAR

dammit ryu stop stealing my plot points

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,059 posts |
  • 6 Clan Points

POPULAR

Sentinel of the Refuge 1

"All right. Try another one," Dave said.

"Wait, wait, wait," Kiri said. "Don't you think we should try to figure out what went wrong first?"

"He plugged it into the wrong port. The program talked to the wrong piece of hardware, there was an error, the system went unstable, and it crashed," Dave said. "Why was there an error? No clue. There's no way to know. The only thing we can do is hope it works on the next one."

"How can you not know?" Ryu asked.

"It worked on the test core I have at home," Dave said. "But in practice the Refuge system is a pretty complicated, interconnected thing. I built a lot of layers on top of the baseline forum software, and I never really had the time to worry about perfect hardware integration."

"Dave, exactly how much of the site is held together by duct tape and magic?" Patsy asked.

"Eh, you don't... you don't really want to know," Dave said.

Patsy (u_u)'d in Dave's direction.

"Djinn, are you still with us?" Dave said.

"Yep," Djinn responded. He was standing by the server he had just accidentally killed, wondering if it was his fault, Dave's fault, or the tablet's fault. He was leaning towards it being the tablet's fault. He had never really gotten along with tablets.

"Ready to try the next one?" Dave asked.

"Yep," Djinn said. He stepped over to the next server and plugged the interface cable in to a random port. "I'll just go down the line."

"Fingers crossed," Dave said.

Djinn ran the program.

(antitoxin.exe starting up...

Scanning ports to establish connection...

Device detected on port 2...

Calculating checksum on core drivers and operating system...

Checksum failed! Beginning repair procedure...

Identifying corrupted files...

Corrupted files identified. Suspending system operations while repairs are being made...

Corrupted files have been overwritten with master copies of the correct files. Rebooting server core...

Server core rebooted successfully. You may disconnect the attached device.)

"Server core rebooted successfully," Djinn reported. "Looks like this one worked."

"Great," Dave said.

Djinn went and tried repairing the next server core. Crash. Down the line, the next one. Crash. Three red lights now.

"This isn't going as well as I had hoped," Dave said.

"What should I do?" Djinn asked.

"Give me some time to think," Dave said. "Maybe I can... Hmmm. I'm going to see if I can tweak the antitoxin program. I'll be back in a bit."

Djinn Guardian waited in the silent almost-dark. He waited for minutes, which turned into ten minutes, and then a little more.

He almost didn't see it at first. But through the gaps between racks, he managed to catch a glimpse. A shape, vanishingly slight in the shadow of the machines. A glimmer, a ghost. A flash of green light.
Posted Image

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Spoiler

Djinn Guardian

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,438 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points
0.0 oh my word.......... I get to met Antibody!!!!!!!!!!!! dang. Also "duct tape and magic". I lol'd so hard at this one
<h2>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users