In regards to Communication Platforms - Alternatively, why I propose Discord replace our Skype Group

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

Deltan the Dramatic

The Hero of Justice

• DED Warrant Officer
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 781 posts |
  • 53 Clan Points

POPULAR

Greetings, Refuge! As you all know by now,  I am of course, the Great Deltan. Master of Dramatic phrasing, different voices, and of course, writing long prose. I've decided to make this topic for a few reasons - mostly because I see an opportunity to take credit for a good idea, a good chap asked for it, and I feel fairly strongly about this all. So without further ado, let us begin.

The Skype group has been a long and treasured part of GSAR's history. From mishandling it to have implications for site-wide events, to having hour long calls with my fellow Refugians, to even speaking with my fellow Clan Leaders about the state of the Refuge, many years ago. We have grown, changed, evolved... and  it has not aged as well as we, for lack of a better term.

From the excess of members preventing anyone from making a call (without using /command workarounds), to the plethora of alternate accounts from members who have been unable to leave, to the administrative control of the group resting in the hands of (for all intents) a non-staff member, and the terrible resource allocation I and others have experienced with it, I find it hard to think of the Skype group as anything but a leaky ship that has managed to continue floating along with all of our hopes and dreams, much like the ship from One Piece. And in that same vein, there comes a time where we must all move on.

Now, all the things I have mentioned have fixes, ways to work around them, and so on. We've spent years on this platform, working our way through it. Be it creating new Skype groups, new chatrooms on GSAR, common courtesy, it is not impossible to work around. But if I've learned anything over these years, it's that settling for things out of fear of change is not something I'll succumb to. We can be better. Heck, we are better.

So with my rambling out of the way, let's talk about the real meat of this topic - Discord. I don't want to make this sound like an advert, so the gist is that it's a functional application in the vein of Skype/Teamspeak/Mumble and so on. Except you can also run it in a web browser, have multiple voice/text channels with no unreasonable size limit for members on the server, and the mobile app is pretty solid. Tawny, AD-Catman and I have all been using it recently for communicating while playing games, working on projects, or just chatting about current events.

While I will admit that I was initially hesitant and knew nothing about this application and how it worked, that was true for Skype, many years ago. Figuring out how to use /me for roleplays, the dramatic fights over the topic title (Where the Refuge...), and how to set notifications on/off are all skills that we have more or less learned over the course of using it.

So in closing, this rarely posting one-time leader of Draconis thinks we should all move over to Discord and leave Skype behind. I readily accept any arguments made against this proposed move, and mean no offense to anyone who holds fond memories of the Skype chat.

Deltan the Dramatic

The Hero of Justice

• DED Warrant Officer
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 781 posts |
  • 53 Clan Points

Seeing as I accidentally double posted, I'd like to also mention the isolated instances of members being hacked and all those spammy accounts that keep sending friend requests.

GalactaRay

Scholar

• Crashing Waves King
    Mercury
  • Mercury Clan
  • 2,319 posts |
  • 119 Clan Points

we have tried to move on to discord the only problem is there is literally no one that's online in the GSAR chat we have. When I check and I check at least once a week there's ADCatman, Taav (whoever that is) and usually Robert Joe. No one write anything there and we haven't be able to get most people on that.

I agree everything about discord is better, to us finally having group calls again to it not being peer to peer. I do think discord is better just not enough people have gotten onto it. We tried in January that didn't really work. I'm up to try again but I'm not that optimistic about it that it'll work.
Posted Image

Tawny779

Official Refuge Lurker/TCG Whiz

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

what's this? Tawn is logging into the site to make a post?! What sorcery is this?!

all the same, I'm in support of this idea whole heartedly. mostly because Skype is so resource intensive, I can't keep it open whilest gaming typically. If, as you say Ray, we already have a Discord group, toss me an invite. spread the word about it more (granted as I already mentioned I'm rarely on the site, but this is certainly not common knowledge within the skype chat, considering Del figured he had to make this post).
Pokemon Showdown: Tawn
League of Legends: Tawny779 (NA)
Battle.Net: Tawny779#1879
Steam: Tawny779
Nintendo Friend Code: 1135-1686-4113
hit me up on any of the above!

Current Trading Card Game addiction:
Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

View PostKirigishi, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the Refuge, where nothing is ever normal.

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

Point taken. As a GSAR admin, I fully endorse the relocation proposed by our finest former High Judge, Deltan the Dramatic, and I will organize a concerted effort to switch all of GSAR over to Discord. I just registered today, and I must say it looks quite nice. Wouldn't mind calling it my new chat home.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Deltan the Dramatic

The Hero of Justice

• DED Warrant Officer
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 781 posts |
  • 53 Clan Points

I'm going to call this a resounding success! I appreciate the timely response and approval in regards to this proposal.

If you would like to be added, one of these fine members will be more than happy to point you to our Discord. This is a work in progress, so thanks for your cooperation ~

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

For those of you reading now, the link to join is here: https://discord.gg/sKMgv

I'll probably make a formal announcement once I confirm a couple things with the staff.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Misery

Black Mage

• Members
  • 945 posts |
  • 4 Clan Points

I've started using Discord lately anyway, so I certainly don't mind.
A dream that doesn't end is the dream of the butterfly.
The dream of the butterfly is the dream of the dead.
A dream that isn't woken from is death.
But once you wake up - the dream dies.

Spoiler

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,093 posts |
  • 384 Clan Points

I haven't had much experience with Discord, but I'm willing to try an alternative to Skype, which seems to present a number of problems.

View PostGalactaRay, on 28 July 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Taav (whoever that is)
Insignificant Organism

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero

Recipient of Posted Image

What?

Ace Attorney

Promethean Guard
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 2,368 posts |
  • 87 Clan Points

Someone link the Android and iPhone app for people. Btw Deltan long post can you do a tl;dr

[10:09:03 PM] Kiri: Gah, What?'s poor spelling is contagious!
[10:09:18 PM] Kiri: It is spreading throughout the lands of Draconis. Soon we shall have an epidemic on our hands.
[10:09:28 PM] CompleteZero: Worse than the banana plague too
[10:09:52 PM] CompleteZero: 'Notable Events'

[6:55:21 PM] Robert Joe: What?, you are not Jenna. You are supposed to eat the Stawberries, not people.

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS19.gif

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS13.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tawny779

Official Refuge Lurker/TCG Whiz

• Centurion
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 700 posts |
  • 41 Clan Points

Kiri did the tl;dr
Pokemon Showdown: Tawn
League of Legends: Tawny779 (NA)
Battle.Net: Tawny779#1879
Steam: Tawny779
Nintendo Friend Code: 1135-1686-4113
hit me up on any of the above!

Current Trading Card Game addiction:
Cardfight!! Vanguard

join the Official GSAR Discord! or My Personal Discord I use for gaming with people outside the GSAR community

View PostKirigishi, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the Refuge, where nothing is ever normal.

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,093 posts |
  • 384 Clan Points

Apple download here https://itunes.apple...mes/id985746746
Android download here https://play.google....?id=com.discord

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero