Merc

lurky

• Emperor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,432 posts |
  • 28 Clan Points

Posted Image

"Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryogi. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family reluctantly but dutifully takes him in. What follows is an unprecedented and heartbreaking look at the state of a largely still-closeted Japanese gay culture: how it's been affected by the West, and how the next generation can change the preconceptions about it and prejudices against it." - Inside cover summary

I've actually known about this manga for a while and read it online a while ago, but I was really excited when I saw it in the Strand and I picked it up immediately. It's absolutely gorgeous, both in story content and art (Drawn in a style clearly informed by the artist's history drawing bara, which gives a really interesting lens with which to gaze into Japanese gay life), and I've thoroughly enjoyed my reread of it. I honestly think that, with its subject material and the way it's presented, it's the most important work of manga circulating right now, and I definitely recommend that you pick it up if you see it!

[4/17/15,10:18:15 PM] Zack: breathe in
[4/17/15,10:18:21PM] Merc: Merc breathes in
[4/17/15,10:18:32 PM] Zack: and maybe out if you want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users