LongGoneWriter's D&D Game Interest/Signup Thread

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

LongGoneWriter

• Members
  • 6 posts |

POPULAR

EDIT: That's it! We've filled the player roster. Thanks for your interest! We might see about streaming or something for those of you still interested. For now, that's it! SEE YOU SOON

Howdy folks! Your friend and mine Ryu Gaia said you have a hankering for some good-old-fashioned D&D, and I aim to please.

THE SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5e, although if a group collectively has their heart set on a system I'm game to play whatever.

THE SETTING: Probably even odds between the Forgotten Realms or GeneriFantasyLand, although again, I'll listen to requests.

THE GAME: I'm aiming for fast, loose, and fun. Whichever system we end up using will be bent and broken in the name of a good game, so rules lawyers take yer happy pills.

THE PLAYERS: You! Maybe. Depending on your availability and how quick the game fills up. I'm not partial to running more than 4-5 players per game.

THE TIME: Also up for debate! I believe the current favorite is SUNDAYS from 1PM PST to 5PM PST. Continental folks, I do apologize. As forewarning, I do have a once-monthly game that meets (basically) all day Sundays, so if Sunday SuNDAY SUNDAY is our game day then it'll be a three-times-a-month thing.

And that about does it, I think! Now's when we hammer out availability and interest. GO AND DO AWESOME

EDIT: INFO FOR PLAYERS

I want to try to set up some character interaction possibilities and even some INTRIGUE (gasp)! Don’t feel pressured to do all of these (but the more you do, the more I can weave into the game). And, as you might imagine, DONT SHARE THESE WITH THE OTHER PLAYERS. I’ll be spreading the rumors around, but no one will know what is true or not. Also, if you want eschew all this to play a precious cinnamon roll, I wholeheartedly support you.

DARK BROODING ANGSTY PAST: think about: what would your character kill to learn? Who have they hurt in the past? What are they trying to make happen in the next month?

RUMORS MOST FOUL: what are two good rumors about your character? What are two bad rumors about your character? What are two false rumors about your character?

SECRETS AND LIES: what secret does only your character know and desperately want to keep hidden? What do they lie about most often?

EDIT: CONTENT WARNING

I’m okay with running any kind of game y’all want; heck, I’ll run an evil game if that’s your bag.

But my main concern is y’all having fun. If there is something happening in game that any player does not feel comfortable continuing with, it stops, immediately, and we move on. No ifs, ands, or buts.

And if you are the source of this friction repeatedly, you will be kindly asked to leave. Your fun does not take priority over making the game a space that is not welcoming or accessible to all players.

Additionally, I will be available for DMs at any time in case players have concerns about content at any time, in case you aren’t comfortable voicing your concerns in public.

I don’t anticipate this being a problem from this group, but I also want to make sure the rules of interaction are clear from the start.

Shadowfyst997

Swordsman

• Golden Sunrise Ambassador
    Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 96 posts |
  • 20 Clan Points
First!

But yeah, i'm definitly interested. That timeslot looks like it works for me.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,251 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

ME ME ME

Give me a good death. <3

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,001 posts |
  • 86 Clan Points

I am interested!

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,076 posts |
  • 381 Clan Points

Also interested. That Sunday 1-5pm PST time slot works for me. I recommend everyone punch their availability into this handy When2meet thingy Josh created.

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero

Recipient of Posted Image

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,069 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

Note that the When2Meet is specifically in PST! Answer in PST if you can.
In space, the stars are paved with gold.

No, really, who is Ryu Gaia?

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Signature from when I was in Mercury below:
Spoiler

LongGoneWriter

• Members
  • 6 posts |
I see four eager faces, and I'm willing to take one more. Any comers?

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,001 posts |
  • 86 Clan Points

Regarding gods and whatnot, are there any specific ones you're using? Typical DnD, Greek, Norse? or are you going with Golden Sun Summon gods?

Carnwennan

• Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 8 posts |
  • Location:That ledge that you have to fall from an elevation to reach
I'm down for some D&D shenanigans!

My questions would be: What sort of resources are we allowed to use? Just the base game/Player's Handbook, or could we spice things up with Xanathar's/Volo's for additional races/classes? Or maybe even homebrew if we're goin' the chaotic route.
"Hey Red. We're not going to get away with this, are we?"

LongGoneWriter

• Members
  • 6 posts |
I will admit I know next to nothing about Golden Sun, although ill be doing some reading up on it over the coming week to prepare. That said, it should affect your deity of choice, as all gods of the multiverse are welcome in my game.

All splatbooks are open, especially Xanathar’s; I highly recommend going through the life details chapter to help flesh out your character. Even if you have a solid idea of what your making, you might pick up a few interesting ideas.

EDIT: as for homebrew material, that’s going to be a case by case basis; Unearthed Arcana has the best chance of passing muster, and DandDWiki the least.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,251 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

Okay, so I might as well post this to make it easier to coordinate bios/connections. This is VERY MUCH a work in progress, and I'll be writing up a formal bio once I figure out more things, so you will see this change. Hopefully, it'd be for the best.

Name: Lamp

Posted Image

Stolen from LongGoneWriter, who stole it from someone else...

Class & Level: Paladin, 3
Background: Acolyte, maybe
Race: Half-Orc
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Appearance: Has a lot of scars, and is proud of them
Weapon of choice: A Greataxe (to be named)

Diety: Sune (or some other equivalent)

STR: 19
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 14
CHA: 15

Personality Traits:
  • Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude!
  • I face problems head-on. A simple direct solution is the best path to success.
Ideals:
  • Change. We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world. (Chaotic)
  • Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true. (Good)
Bonds:
  • I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.
  • I've been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question...
Flaws:
  • Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
  • I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong.
Goal:
  • (Surface) Leadership. You will win a great battle that bards will sing about, and in so doing, you will become an example to inspire others.
  • (Core)(Private)
Temptation:
  • Fury. When your anger is roused, you have trouble thinking straight, and you fear you might do something you’ll regret.
  • Has frequent nightmares of an evil presence trying to tempt her to chaos and darkness. This is due to her orcish heritage, and she is bothered by it. She doesn't sleep that much.
Rumors: TBD

Interests: Loves eating, drinking, wrestling, singing, wild dancing.

Background: Lamp did not know her parents. One of her parents was an orc and the other was a human. She was born on a battlefield, and her orc mother kept fighting anyway...

After a few short years, her parents disappeared to an "unknown fate" (I dunno, this was decided by chance). At a young age, Lamp grew up struggling on the streets of a large city. She was seen as different or strange, so she had few friends. She was recruited to be a squire after a kindly Paladin of Sune thought she had great potential.

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

Spoiler

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,076 posts |
  • 381 Clan Points

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 02 May 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

Diety
can you even common, half-orc?

Fire is the silent hero

Shadowfyst997

Swordsman

• Golden Sunrise Ambassador
    Legionary
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 96 posts |
  • 20 Clan Points
Heh, nice character Patsy.

I'm not sure what i'll want to play myself. So far, I have played a Cleric up to level 10, and a Gunslinger for...1 session.

I love rogues, but DnD Rogues are kinda tricky to play.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,251 posts |
  • 169 Clan Points

Have you made a character sheet yet?

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, we're making character sheets on Roll20. Contact LongGoneWriter if you need details on that, but I'm happy to help with just setting-up if you need it, haha...

Also, I want to clarify that I want the game to start soon, so if any of you have any /inklings/ as to what your character's background will be, please share so I can put aside appropriate time to work on the character. 8') I know that we're also talking in the tabletop channel on Discord, but not everyone checks in on it and reads /everything/.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,076 posts |
  • 381 Clan Points

Relatively finalized

Wulfgar Centaurkiller Katho-Vaikanu

Posted Image

but with less armour

Class & Level: Barbarian (Path of the Zealot), 3
Background: Outlander
Race: Goliath
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Appearance: 7'8", 300lbs, bald, tattooed
Weapon of choice: Greatsword?

Deity: Mars

STR: 18
DEX: 15
CON: 16
INT: 6
WIS: 16
CHA: 9

Personality Traits:
  • Competitive
  • Prefers being in the wilderness as opposed to in a city
Ideals:
  • Change. Adapt or die. (Chaotic)
  • Glory. I must earn glory through battle and looting, for myself and my Goliath tribe. (Neutral)
Bonds:
  • I aim to return to my dwindling Goliath tribe stronger and more experienced, to try and help guide it safely to the future
Flaws:
  • Reckless - no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest
  • Violence is my answer to most challenges
Interests: Fighting, looting, adventuring, eating

Bio: Recently left his frigid, mountainous homelands in search of more populated areas with new experiences to be had, as well as greater treasure and riches. The latter is an interest which has gradually alienated him from his Goliath tribe, who prize self-sufficiency to the degree that ‘excessive’ material wealth and reliance on strong equipment are seen as crutches. But Wulfgar feels that view is too narrow-minded, especially since the tribe has begun to dwindle in the face of external threats. He hopes to explore the world and eventually return to his struggling tribe more experienced and powerful than ever (bolstered by sweet loot) to try and help guide them towards survival.

Soon after leaving his home, Wulfgar joined the ranks of the Emerald Enclave.

Edited by Ignatius, 13 May 2018 - 08:22 PM.

Fire is the silent hero

LongGoneWriter

• Members
  • 6 posts |

POPULAR

I dunno, I like the idea of an INT 6 barbarian who thinks "something" is actually a name

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,076 posts |
  • 381 Clan Points

Tempting...but no, haha. Updated with bio, nickname and character art ripped straight from DND Beyond.

Questions: The Player Basic Rules says that rules of encumberment (speed -10ft when carrying over 5xSTR, speed -20ft and combat disadvantages when over 10xSTR) are a 'variant', which I take to mean varies by GM. Can you clarify how such things will work here?

Also, Feats are apparently optional in 5e? Will they be included in our campaign?

Fire is the silent hero

Ivan Strider

Mage of Music

• Chief Advisor
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 1,001 posts |
  • 86 Clan Points

Name: Rivan Townsend
Class &amp; Level: Cleric of the Tempest, 3
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Good/Neutral
Appearance:
- Ash Blond Hair
- Hazel Eyes
- Fair Skin
Posted Image

Diety: Aerdrie

STR: 13
DEX: 12
CON: 14
INT: 11
WIS: 18
CHA: 14

Personality Traits:
  • Caring, Jovial, and Flirty on the surface.
  • "Don't waste my time, give me a good reason to help you or piss off" underneath
  • Also gay...very gay
Ideals:
  • Not everyone has a strict road they can take, and sometimes you just have to go with what you feel. (Chaotic)
  • Only those in dire need and those being oppressed deserve help. Justice must be served to those who need it most, but if someone can help their own situation then no help should be provided for them. (Good/Neutral).
Bonds:
  • My instrument is my most treasured possession, and it reminds me of someone I love.
  • I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaws:
  • I refuse to be seen in clothes that are of lower class. I will stop to keep up my appearance in a public situation.
  • I throw all caution to the wind in the heat of the moment.
Goal:
  • (Surface) I wish to lead a life of fulfillment, going wherever my whims lead me.
  • (Core) I want to know what tf Aerdrie wants with me (and why she decided it would be funny to burn down my house)
Rumors: TBD?

Interests: Cats, Music, Romance, Passionate Affairs, Foxes, Wolves, Fashion.

Background: Mother was a Guardsman, Father was an architect. Born in a small village, raised in the city. Drabbled a bit with Bounty Hunting. Had dream encounters with Aerdrie that led to his house (in the village, but when he was living on his own) burning down. Father died in a work related accident. His mother used to be a Cleric for Aerdrie before marrying his father and settling down.

Extra Info: His mother Lissandra was the one to 'convince' Rivan to accept Aerdrie's blessing and become a Cleric, but under the terms that Lissandra would also return to following Aerdrie. Rivan accepted his blessing, and Lissandra became an Edlritch Knight.

Allies: Lissandra - Mother, Ex-cleric and Current Eldritch Knight

LongGoneWriter

• Members
  • 6 posts |
Feats are generally not going to be available for players. If there is a feat you like, you can ask, but there is a list of feats which are autobanned and I'm not going to tell you which ones are on the list so you don't get excited.

Ignatius...do you plan on carrying that much junk?

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,076 posts |
  • 381 Clan Points

:o

It's treasure.

And, yes, I do plan on carrying that much. My character already exceeds 5x STR just by carrying the items given by his Outlander background plus the contents of an explorer's pack given by his Barbarian class. But perhaps I should clarify whether my Powerful Build (counting as Large for the purposes of max carrying capacity) also changes those 5x STR and 10x STR limits for encumberment?

Fire is the silent hero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users