Wrrrtw

Horrible Person

• Ghost
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 398 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points

POPULAR

In light of the most recent announcement, and inspired by patsy's mid-month reintroduction, I wanted to propose this topic.

Certainly, while this site may fade, and the activity might occasionally grow dim, the effects of this community on us will never cease.  Despite the fact that this isn't really an ending, as much as it's the beginning of a new chapter as a group, I think we should spend some time thinking about who we were when we joined.

I'd like each of you to dig up your introduction (as you can find it),  Post it in a quote, and in the same post reintroduce who you are now after the time you've spent in this refuge.

I think we'll have some really interesting #Feelz by the end of it.

We should all hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. -Chivelle

http://wrrrtw.tumblr.com

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,765 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostDave, on 27 June 2010 - 04:10 AM, said:

Hey everyone, and welcome to the revival and fusion of two former Golden Sun websites, GSAR and Elemental Temple. I'm sorry about the delayed launch, but I ran into some unexpected problems with the skin which I wanted to repair before making it public.

Those of you who were members of the original GSAR probably won't know me (I think I was a member back in 2003, but I can't remember which username I used), but I used to go by the name of Blitz and was the former webmaster of Elemental Temple. I currently run a Fire Emblem website, FEE. I believe that Zip has already told you that anyone who was a staff member of the original website is more than welcome to regain their old position here as long as they remain a committed member of the community.

I realise that things will most likely start off very slowly, but I plan on spreading the word in the coming months, and hope that we will be able to build up an active community before the release of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn at the end of the year.

You will most likely encounter several forum errors as I took a few shortcuts when designing this skin, so if you do find something that doesn't look right or a feature which doesn't work, please let me know in this topic. It is designed to be best viewed in Firefox and Google Chrome, so please keep that in mind if you're using another browser and something looks a little odd. Also, for those of you who have large monitors (like myself), I am working on a fluid version of this skin which will stretch across the whole screen.

The website itself is coming along nicely, and should be ready for launch at some point next week.

does this count as an intro thread

Ryu Gaia

Spaceman

• Administrator
    Rocket Alchemist
    Venus
  • Venus Clan
  • 1,071 posts |
  • 8 Clan Points

POPULAR

I joined about 15 years ago.

I had to go digging to find this---not an intro, but a record of when I joined GSAR:

Battle Room For Dragon And Pheonix, The battle takes place here.
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
RyuGaia Posted: Aug 10 2003, 08:30 AM ReportEdit Post Quote

Slayer and Head of Contact of the Venus Clan

Group: Venus Clan
Member No.: 218

And the only remnant of what the forum was like at that time is here. Similarly, a horribly busted-up version of the site from back then can be found here. If you squint (highlight the page so you can read the text), you can see the existence of one of my earliest contributions to the Refuge: a cut-scene by yours truly, Ryu Gaia. But the link, like so many artifacts from that era, is long dead.

As for who I was when I joined: behold.

I've been around for just about every iteration since the start. Crazy how life turns out sometimes.

PS: If it's not too selfish, can I request that the new Fuge rollout happens after June 17th? I'd love to be able to officially say I was a member of GSAR for 15 years.
In space, the stars are paved with gold.

No, really, who is Ryu Gaia?

Will anybody tell me?

Does anybody know?

Signature from when I was in Mercury below:
Spoiler

Insignificant Organism

i forget entirely

• Scholar
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 164 posts |
  • 3 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostInsignificant Organism, on 27 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Hello folks, I'm Insignificant Organism, but most people just call me Isaac (no relevance to the GS character, nor is it my real name) or IO. I am a huge Golden Sun fan, as well as Fire Emblem and a ton of other rpgs of the sort. I will be entering my first year of college this fall, with plans of double majoring in computer science and neuroscience. I will hopefully have enough time to breathe every once in a while, and when I do, I'll spend some of it here.

I've read the GSAR member's guide and I've looked into the RP as well. Looks like this will be fun. Nice to meet you all!

Ah, old me. So innocent, so naive. So very wrong about the world in many ways. Not that I blame myself for dreaming big - still do that in many ways.

Welp, meet the new me. Burned-out college grad, moved cross country for his first job, still a big jrpg fan, but so linearly fixated on one particular franchise that his interest in anything else has more or less died. Did not major in neuro - that was too much of a commitment in the end - but I did survive college with a degree in cs and minors in physics and Japanese. Pulled some insane shit and ruined my health! Do not recommend!

Guess I wasn't really around that much, but I'll still be around I guess. My interest in forums as community platforms has kinda hit rock bottom, and honestly you'll probably see me mostly on discord. But I did manage to muster enough motivation to write this out so I guess anything's possible.
Posted Image

Dave

Big Boss

• Webmaster
    Eternal Flame
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 1,765 posts |
  • 25 Clan Points

View PostInsignificant Organism, on 03 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

Guess I wasn't really around that much, but I'll still be around I guess. My interest in forums as community platforms has kinda hit rock bottom, and honestly you'll probably see me mostly on discord. But I did manage to muster enough motivation to write this out so I guess anything's possible.
I do have some ideas to integrate the forum platform with the discord rooms in some ways (ie. using discord bots). Will see how it plays out.

Patsy Dragon

Starry Knight

• Law of The Cycle
    The ultimate champion of being someone who has something to say that is worth listening to!
    Jupiter
  • Venus Clan
  • 8,265 posts |
  • 179 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostPatsy Dragon, on 02 August 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Hello everybody! I'm a 19 year old college student who grew up with the Golden Sun games. I'm very excited to see this place, and to get back into the community. :D My favorite character is Ivan (favorite NPC is that metalsmith in Vale that likes Jenna, hehe), but I like everybody! I don't care about shippings. I write fanfiction every once in a blue moon (FF name is Eloine), but I'm writing something that ISN'T weird and confusing.

For fun, I like to read books about science, health, and... anything, really! I'm a casual gamer. I also do Kendo, but I'm not that good.
(Link to the thread)

Awwwwwww. Look at me, all bright-eyed and happy. I'm glad I started talking about Golden Sun. They're STILL my favorite characters! I haven't written GS fanfiction in years though. I still read for fun, although I would toss history (and social science/humanities stuff in general) onto the pile. I'm still a casual gamer - I don't really have time for gaming much anyway. And I don't do Kendo anymore, but I miss it...

Anyway, now I'm 24, turning 25 later this month... I'm STILL a college student, but I took time off from my previous uni for a few years to recover from some serious anxiety/depression, then transferred to a new uni to pursue something that I'm passionate about.

It's gonna be terribly sad to bury this forum, you know. Some of my most formative years are here with you all, and while I knew that this revamp was coming sooner or later, it's still bitter sweet. I still got you guys, so I'll be okay. :)

Posted Image

"... but you can love completely without complete understanding." -Reverend Maclean, from "The River Runs Through It" (movie)

"grumble grumble stinkhead grumble grumble poop-for-snot grumble grumble dick" -Ryu Gaia

"Puhi gave the people food and made the seaweed farm."

Spoiler

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostKirigishi, on 27 January 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

Hey guys,

I just joined last night, so I thought I'd introduce myself briefly.

My name is Bob-Mob-Lob-Who-Has-A-Job-And-Sobs-A-Blob-of-H2Ob-While-Eating-Corn-on-the-Cob-And-A-Kebab-And-Turning-A-Doorknob-To-Rob-A-Glob PoCo XVI, but you can just call me Kiri. I'm a huge fan of Golden Sun, having played all three installments multiple times. My favorite game of the series based on challenge and fun is probably TLA, but there's something about the characters and locations of Dark Dawn that really appeals to me. That being said, the award for my favorite Golden Sun character of all time has probably got to go to Amiti.

On another note, I'm also an active member of several Golden Sun groups on DeviantArt, where I like to share my fanart and my fanmade GS4 project. Feel free to check 'em out.

That's about it. For now. I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of this community and to getting to know you all!
Have a nice day,
Kiri

First part is cringe-worthy. That whole Bob-Mob thing is something I did with my middle-school friends...

At the time, I was 16 and a high-school junior. With orchestra and tennis team and IB classes and college applications coming up, I had a lot of interesting things on my plate, but I managed to make some time in my schedule for online shenanigans. I remember sitting in the old GSAR chatroom one time talking with a guy named Ryu Gaia (who is he even?), and he said I should consider applying to a couple Ivy League schools because he believed I could get in. Well, I had no interest in attending those schools and have never been one to care for prestige, so I politely declined. I appreciated where Ryu was coming from, though.

I can't remember if Patsy came along before or after that, but yeah, at some point or other, Patsy rolled in. I pride myself just a little on having posted the advertisement on DeviantArt that caught her attention, but I can't possibly take any credit for the amazing person she is. She was there for me at a number of crucial points during my senior year of high school and early college years, and for that I'm immensely grateful.

Fast-forward six years: I'm a 22-year-old early professional. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in chemistry last May, bent on realizing my dream (which I'd had since my first year of college) of becoming an outstanding high-school chemistry teacher. I landed a full-time teaching job straight out of college and was thrilled. The first month went great, second month went alright, third month was the pits. I suffered from severe depression and anxiety (something I had never experienced before), and ultimately had to bow out for my own health. The next several months were confusing, frightening, and liberating all at the same time. I questioned a lot of things, resented a lot of things, and ultimately chose to reject a lot of society's norms. I spent time learning about myself, taking care of myself, and nurturing the relationships I had with those around me. Again, I'm super grateful to have had an amazing group of friends, family, and mentors standing beside me the whole way (aside from my dad, with whom I've recently become estranged. That's a story for another time).

Just last week, I started a new job as an academic advisor at a large public university. I enjoy the job and find several aspects of it fulfilling, but ultimately, I recognize it is just a job. I leave work at 5 and never think about it again until 8 am the next morning. I go for walks and play violin outside in the evenings. Other people might laugh at my salary, but for me, it's the freedom of mind and the time that make me feel like there's nothing more in the world I could want.

tl;dr: Since I first joined, I've become more cynical of the world, but actually better at creating spaces within it where I can feel at peace.

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

Wrrrtw

Horrible Person

• Ghost
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 398 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostWrrrtw, on 07 June 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

Hello,  I'm Wrrrtw.

After a long, long time of "being on the market" for a new Internet community,  I've finally done something about  meeting new people.

It's still an intimidating venture, but I'm sure I'll survive.

So,  a little bit about myself.  I came across Golden sun back when the GBA was a thing.  I got it used for 20$ at a local gamestore. The owner had no idea what it was, and let me try it out if I wanted.  I gave it a try and, seeing that it was an RPG (and I was new to RPGs to begin with), I purchased it immediately.

I then proceeded to fall in love.

Now I'm not a Huge golden sun fan, but the first two games definitely sit atop my favorites list despite all of the awesome games that I've played sense.  I'm also not a big fan of Dark Dawn.  I  think Camelot could have done a lot better of a job,  and even sent them an opinion of the angle they could have approached from for the third game.

As for my history on an online History,  I started foruming around 2003 or 2004.  I remained particularly loyal to a wonderful Megaman site for years, but it's become really slow as of late, and the conversations have become tired. I also spend an unhealthy time on AIM, and remain true to it despite AOL's failing business decisions.

I'm an artist, and a hack writer.  I'm trying to write my own comic (one day I might be successful),  and I really want to share my art and opinions.

As such, Here I am.  Special thanks to Patsy Dragon for sending me a message noticing I exist.  I already feel welcome, and thats awesome.

Not much has changed here.   I guess I opened the door with [what I do] over [who I am]... but honestly I'm still pretty focused on that being the core of a person anyway.

In June of 2013, I was 25, and I was a father for only 2 years.  I was fortunate that a lot of my growing and personality had settled and been completed, and in these five years that isn't untrue,  most of my growth being refinement and realignment of my goals and ideals.

Before finding this community, I was feeling a bit lost and more than a little bit ignored.  I had no outlet and I was always ever posting into a void.  My general idea was to find a group to post my artwork and gain the fledgling of a fan-base, since to say "no one cared about my doodles" was fairly true.  Not in an abrasive sense, just no one noticed.

Since my introduction I've hollowed out quite a bit and I have given up on my stupid childhood dreams of being a great artist. I held on long and hard for a long time, but there just came a day where I had to admit to myself that I no longer actually wanted the achievement I wanted, that I wasn't happy chasing that dream, and that I should explore my other interests and talents.

I don't mourn for the identity I had as a one-day-webcomic-artist.  Since divorcing from it helped me review new and more accurate ways of viewing myself.

Additionally, speaking of identities, This community was the canvas in which I was able to build and display a new internet persona.  Using traits and ideas I that were rolling around in my brain for a long long time prior, I was able to articulate and illustrate the horrible and insufferable whiny ghost monster you all know and tolerate love.

Thanks for existing, GSAR.  You're exactly the not-4chan I needed, a non-hostile place for me to be creative, reflective, and supportive.  A place to tinker and grow, and hopefully help others do the same.

A proper refuge.

We should all hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. -Chivelle

What?

Ace Attorney

Promethean Guard
    Mars
  • Mars Clan
  • 2,368 posts |
  • 87 Clan Points

POPULAR

I remember my first introduction from may years ago back around 2004-6:

Hello I am Dark Steel

I have came a long way

[10:09:03 PM] Kiri: Gah, What?'s poor spelling is contagious!
[10:09:18 PM] Kiri: It is spreading throughout the lands of Draconis. Soon we shall have an epidemic on our hands.
[10:09:28 PM] CompleteZero: Worse than the banana plague too
[10:09:52 PM] CompleteZero: 'Notable Events'

[6:55:21 PM] Robert Joe: What?, you are not Jenna. You are supposed to eat the Stawberries, not people.

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS19.gif

http://www.circlever...omics/CVS13.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ignatius

High Judge

• Administrator
    High Judge
    Mars
  • Administrators
  • 3,093 posts |
  • 384 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostIgnatius, on 04 January 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

I'm Ignatius, and new to roleplaying and using forums, so I have a lot to learn. But Golden Sun is the bom-best video game series ever (even if you include Dark Dawn, which was a minor disappointment), so here I am.

I'm in my fifth year of university, having gone through various majors, from astrophysics to classics to history only to end up in chemistry, which I plan to use to various environmental ends to better the world.

So naturally, Ignatius is a big Alchemy nerd, and he's a Mars Adept who occasionally loses his temper and sets silly humans on fire.
I have indeed learned much about roleplaying and forum use, starting with advice from Deltan that amounted to, "Dude, that roleplay you just posted in was obviously dead a long time ago."

I have also mastered emoticons. There was a world of learning to do there, complete with detailed records from several Refugians, and including the Kirictionary. Learning her language was an important first step. :P

There's still more for me to learn on forum-ing though; I need to work on condensing and reorganizing my ideas into more readable bites.

I'm not sure what "bom-best" was about; must have been my word of the month or something...but Golden Sun is still pretty much my favourite series ever. Thanks to everyone here for helping keep the feels alive!

I have since completed my chemistry degree, and recently got my first job in a lab, although I'm just a quality assurance technician, and hardly doing anything towards "various environmental ends to better the world." That's still the ideal, but I'm not as focused on that as I once was. The struggle to ensure a healthy planet for the future can be supported by science, but I've come to see the problem more and more as being to do with human tendencies and mindsets, rather than a lack of scientific advancement. I don't think humans are adapting quickly enough to the negative aspects that come along with the changes we're imposing on the world, changes which are becoming more impactful while our moral mindsets and policies don't keep pace. It's hard for me to see that as a winning game in the long run, which kills some of my drive to fight the good fight. And I simply don't have the skillset to make any significant inroads on solving the human aspect of that problem. Another reason why I'm less focused on it now is because I have a better idea now what I need in order to keep myself content and healthy. It would be cool if I eventually found a 9-5 job where I feel I'm making a difference and it's in a geographical area that works for my relationship, but I don't see a research-based job like I once envisioned working very well for me, because I'd always be bringing the work home. I also don't feel as intelligent as I once did; my memory's gotten kind of bad. So, I'm probably just joining ranks with the selfish human beings I vowed I'd never join who are so focused on their own happiness that everything else falls apart around them, which pretty much sums up the human aspect of the climate change problem. The internal struggle for reconciliation continues. ^^;

I'm not sure why those character details "naturally" followed from my career aims, but I think Ignatius turned out to be more of a cool cucumber type than a hothead...

View PostGalactaRay, on 13 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Fire is the silent hero

Recipient of Posted Image

Wrrrtw

Horrible Person

• Ghost
    Jupiter
  • Jupiter Clan
  • 398 posts |
  • 14 Clan Points

Ignatius,  an assuring technician of the utmost quality.

Kirigishi

Ranger

• Administrator
    Frost Knight
    Mercury
  • Administrators
  • 4,445 posts |
  • 301 Clan Points

POPULAR

View PostWrrrtw, on 07 May 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ignatius,  an assuring technician of the utmost quality.

Can confirm.

I guess that's a pretty major part I left out of my earlier post. When talking about GSAR, I tend to overlook the fact that this community literally brought me together with the person I now consider most dear to me. When Ignatius joined in December 2013, I honestly didn't think he'd last more than a couple months. As time went on, I came to see him as someone who cared more about others than I thought he should have reason to, and I was relieved when I found out he was here to stay.

I certainly didn't join GSAR with the intention of finding a significant other, but I guess I'm not too surprised it happened that way, either. I had had crushes and close friendships via online platforms before (I even wrote a story about me getting together with some dude from Maplestory when I was in middle school, haha). There have been moments when I've found it tough to balance being a member of the community while also being in a relationship with Ig, but overall I feel I've adjusted pretty well.

Thanks for being understanding and patient with me, GSAR. :')

Tawny779 said:

you come for the Golden Sun. You stay for the crazy <3

Misery said:

Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.

Dave: I'm becoming a doctor.
Dave: I like people
Dave: ...when they're unconscious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users